Large soft bubble under the skin of rooster. Please help! (pics attached )

Isabella6Storm4

Free Ranging
Oct 4, 2022
Ardonia
My little mixed-breed rooster was put outside today to start integration. This afternoon I went out to check on him and found him out of the fence so my siblings helped me catch him but noticed what feels like a large air bubble on his left side. The skin looks blueish so could it be blood? I have no clue what this could be or what to do and I'm super worried. He's only a few months old and looks pretty healthy other than this. I also know it wasn't on him this morning because when I picked him up to bring him out it wasn't there. He doesn't seem in pain but he's walking funny. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

IMG_8140.jpg
IMG_8139.jpg

So sorry you are dealing with this! I’m not sure exactly what it could be, but hopefully some more people chime in soon. In the meantime I’ll ask a few questions. How old is he? What feed is he on? How long have you had him? Are there any other roosters there?

So sorry you are dealing with this! I’m not sure exactly what it could be, but hopefully some more people chime in soon. In the meantime I’ll ask a few questions. How old is he? What feed is he on? How long have you had him? Are there any other roosters there?
Thank you for responding.
I dont know quite how old he is. He started crowing 2 weeks ago though and i've had him for about a month. He's on a Layers feed which is 16% protein. We have one other rooster. A big guy but super sweet and he didnt seem to mind him when i was out there watching for the first half hour or so.

I just went out to check on him and he's still walking around ok. I put him in his own little run. It doesnt seem like he cant breathe or anything.
This is a stressful situation because i got him from some friends who wanted to keep him but couldnt so i said i would take him. If he dies its gonna be more than me who'll be sad.

I just went out to check on him and he's still walking around ok. I put him in his own little run. It doesnt seem like he cant breathe or anything.
This is a stressful situation because i got him from some friends who wanted to keep him but couldnt so i said i would take him. If he dies its gonna be more than me who'll be sad.
I unfortunately am not sure what it could be 😕 I’m inexperienced in these types of injuries. And I’m unsure who to tag since it seems odd. Maybe just make sure he’s eating and drinking? Maybe give him a bit of electrolyte water?

It could be a leaking air sac from a bump to his side. The bluish skin could be bruising. If he is doing well besides having the air bubble, then he may just eventually re-absorb the air into his body. But if he is having labored breathing, or if it is getting larger, you might want to take a 22 gauge needle and insert it just under the skin, and pull back with a syringe to get any air out. Air can also can be pressed out of the needle with fingers and no syringe. Clean the skin with alcohol or disinfectant before inserting a needle. Again, do not do anything unless your chick is in distress. Read this thread and my post, and look at the 2 YouTube videos for how to withdraw air:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/possible-ruptured-air-sac.1528789/

It could be a leaking air sac from a bump to his side. The bluish skin could be bruising. If he is doing well besides having the air bubble, then he may just eventually re-absorb the air into his body. But if he is having labored breathing, or if it is getting larger, you might want to take a 22 gauge needle and insert it just under the skin, and pull back with a syringe to get any air out. Air can also can be pressed out of the needle with fingers and no syringe. Clean the skin with alcohol or disinfectant before inserting a needle. Again, do not do anything unless your chick is in distress. Read this thread and my post, and look at the 2 YouTube videos for how to withdraw air:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/possible-ruptured-air-sac.1528789/
thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom