Large White Quail web site

There is really no accounting for any ones personal taste. To me, the best tasting game bird on the face of the planet is a mourning dove. That's about the darkest bird meat there is, so the whole (Dark meat,Light meat) argument goes out the window as far as I'm concerned. Whole birds are not your favorite cut of chicken/turkey, dark over light, because they contain both. I prefer light meat portions of a chicken/turkey, but that doesn't mean I will not like a darker meat game bird. The dove conundrum.
In the south, most game bird taste experiences start with bobwhites. That is why most people will say that bobwhites are tastier than anything else. It's a total value judgment as far as I'm concerned. I.E. The first rodent I ever ate was squirrel, the second was rabbit. So I prefer squirrel over rabbit, or any other rodent you try to feed me.

Bobwhites taste like bobwhites, coturnix taste like coturnix. Please don't let anyone tell you that one tastes like the other, no matter which you prefer. I'll take either over the marigold eating beaten to death grocery store facsimile of chicken, as far as taste goes

Total myth/s. A 16 oz. all white meat coturnix (A&M,white or what ever) that taste just like bobwhites. If you see any those things strung together, then run away.

When deciding between raising bobs or coturnix, preference goes into the mix as well as the total cost to profit. Everyone should come up with their own numbers because preference is the unknown variable here.

My coturnix are happily eating, breeding, and growing and my second batch are about to be supper. My Bob's are simply eating at the moment. Now I am looking forward to more Bob's this spring and to see what the difference is in taste.
pop.gif

Hopefully I will decide they are worth the nonproductive winter months...
smile.png

I am very happy to hear there is a taste difference. We all like something different here.

3 attack roos were placed in freezer camp thanks to a helpful neighbor. (I just could not kill them). I had one of them for supper and what a difference in taste! So now I have something else to look forward too....
big_smile.png

Back when I was breeding my Jumbo birds I actually got a suprise call on my cell from one of the top quail guys at Texas A&M University. We had a long talk and he gave me some great tips on breeding for LARGE birds. But he also informed me that they no longer breeder Texas A&M quail either. So yes like many of you are experiencing it is hard to find the real deal. A place that did have as close to the real thing as I ever saw was Bear Bayou quail which is now closed down. Here is a link though to show...
http://bearbayouquail.homestead.com/white.html

Well, I know mine are not A&M's. They are smaller than my regular corturnix and quite a bit smaller than my Jumbos. Rather disappointing actually. I expected them to at least be the same size.

I'm sure....well hope that somewhere someone is still breeding white flesh Texas A&Ms...giving strombergs a try might not be a bad idea. I will email them and see what they say. Also Lake Cumberland has "Jumbo" whites but I would like a pic of the birds flesh before I pay what they want for eggs.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom