Larger chick is "mothering" other chick?

garylancelot

Hatching
Apr 22, 2021
I recently acquired two new chicks to add to my flock. A Red Shoulder Yokohama and a Crevecoeur. I have them both in the same brooder and I noticed that within what seemed to be minutes, the Yokohama imprinted on the Crevecoeur and vice versa. The Crevecoeur is substantially bigger than the Yokohama and each night, I'd go check on them and almost without fail, the Crevecoeur would be sitting on top of (Roosting?) the Yokohama in order to keep it safe and warm. They'd be sitting there contently chirping with each other. The Yokohama never leaves the Crevecoeur's side.

They've been together for about two weeks now. If I take either chick out of the brooder for more than a few seconds, they start chirping for each other extremely loudly and whichever one is left behind will jump out of the brooder and perch on the edge in order to seek out the other chick in "distress" (I have since fixed the brooder not to allow this as they are now big enough to do so). Has anyone ever run across this type of maternal behavior? I've never seen a chick "mother" another chick like this. It has in all honesty been completely endearing and I love seeing it! Just wondering what happened to cause this instant attachment between the two. I'm not complaining by any means!

I also hear the Crevecoeur "singing" frequently. They are long, drawn-out chirps that sound more like a finch than a chicken. Would that be another attachment thing for the other chick? Hoping for some insight!

I recently acquired two new chicks to add to my flock. A Red Shoulder Yokohama and a Crevecoeur. I have them both in the same brooder and I noticed that within what seemed to be minutes, the Yokohama imprinted on the Crevecoeur and vice versa. The Crevecoeur is substantially bigger than the Yokohama and each night, I'd go check on them and almost without fail, the Crevecoeur would be sitting on top of (Roosting?) the Yokohama in order to keep it safe and warm. They'd be sitting there contently chirping with each other. The Yokohama never leaves the Crevecoeur's side.

They've been together for about two weeks now. If I take either chick out of the brooder for more than a few seconds, they start chirping for each other extremely loudly and whichever one is left behind will jump out of the brooder and perch on the edge in order to seek out the other chick in "distress" (I have since fixed the brooder not to allow this as they are now big enough to do so). Has anyone ever run across this type of maternal behavior? I've never seen a chick "mother" another chick like this. It has in all honesty been completely endearing and I love seeing it! Just wondering what happened to cause this instant attachment between the two. I'm not complaining by any means!

I also hear the Crevecoeur "singing" frequently. They are long, drawn-out chirps that sound more like a finch than a chicken. Would that be another attachment thing for the other chick? Hoping for some insight!
If they only have each other, they will be very attached. They are flock creatures and need each other.
I'd like to see a video of this "mothering" behavior. It could be more dominant/submissive behavior as, at their age, hormonal behavior is unlikely.

I think so, soooo cute.
I have 2 chicks that are 2 weeks older then the other 4. One is truly a momma to 1 or 2 of the younger ones.
While not sitting on her, she goes and snuggles semi under her.
Well, that was a week ago when she was small enough to still do that. Now they are close to the same size and everyone still fights to be under someone lol

I have definitely seen slightly older chicks ‘mother’ the younger ones do I wouldn’t be too surprised to see it in same aged chicks.

With quail I have had older male chicks brood whole batches of new hatchlings.

Yup. I’ve witnessed lots of bonding behavior with chicks. They are (hopefully) bonding with you, too. It’s always so cute when I hear them use ‘adult chicken’ words - the distinct chirp-chirp-chirp! sound that resembles the hen or roo alert to something tasty :wee .

I have definitely seen slightly older chicks ‘mother’ the younger ones do I wouldn’t be too surprised to see it in same aged chicks.

With quail I have had older male chicks brood whole batches of new hatchlings.
Same, even if they're only couple hrs older than the rest.

If they only have each other, they will be very attached. They are flock creatures and need each other.
I'd like to see a video of this "mothering" behavior. It could be more dominant/submissive behavior as, at their age, hormonal behavior is unlikely.
I'll try to catch a video of it and post it. If it were a dominant/submissive behavior, would they still "miss" each other like they do when they are apart? What you are saying about flock behavior makes sense. It will be interesting to see how they behave once I introduce them to the rest of the flock.
Yup. I’ve witnessed lots of bonding behavior with chicks. They are (hopefully) bonding with you, too. It’s always so cute when I hear them use ‘adult chicken’ words - the distinct chirp-chirp-chirp! sound that resembles the hen or roo alert to something tasty :wee .
I didn't think of that! Maybe that's what the "singing" I've been hearing is; a type of cooing. I hope so!

I'll try to catch a video of it and post it. If it were a dominant/submissive behavior, would they still "miss" each other like they do when they are apart? What you are saying about flock behavior makes sense. It will be interesting to see how they behave once I introduce them to the rest of the flock.

I didn't think of that! Maybe that's what the "singing" I've been hearing is; a type of cooing. I hope so!
Is it kind of a trilling sound? They make this when content (usually when sleepy or already cuddled - for me, cuddled under my hand because I’m Mama Chicken). They can also make this sound when eyeing something strange or scary :eek: . Both baby hens and roos will trill (though the roos tend to do it more when becoming alert about something). My little Eddie used to trill while taking mock dust baths in my lap :lau.

Back
Top Bottom