Larger Dropping Than Normal

Danniro

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I noticed a week or so ago that one of my chickens is making much larger, uh, droppings than normal. Sometimes they are as big as a good sized stawberry.
Behavior seems normal though. One of my hens is 2 and the other is 5. Could age be a contribution? Should I worry?

I wouldn't worry. Their droppings are dependant on many factors, and as long as they are all looking healthy and alert, and are all feeding ok, I'm sure they will be fine.

As to what's caused the change....

The weather can affect dropping consistency, as can a change in diet. Have they been free ranging more than usual? I know when I let my girls out to range they poop more than ever. Not that they were ever holding back before!

I don't think there is anything to be concerned about though.

- Krista

I wouldn't worry. Their droppings are dependant on many factors, and as long as they are all looking healthy and alert, and are all feeding ok, I'm sure they will be fine.

As to what's caused the change....

The weather can affect dropping consistency, as can a change in diet. Have they been free ranging more than usual? I know when I let my girls out to range they poop more than ever. Not that they were ever holding back before!

I don't think there is anything to be concerned about though.

- Krista
Sorry for the late reply. We let them free range all day because the coop and run are small, so nothing has really changed. But they're still both fine! I worry that it could be an age thing though...

My hens free range and they poop the size of an egg some days.... Their poop varies, I guess depending on what all they've eaten during the day.... If they are acting ok, I wouldn't worry ..

Well then I suppose they're otherwise normal in appearance... just really big!

Back
Top Bottom