Largest Bantam breed and Smallest LF breed?

I don't think you need to worry about mixing bantams and LF. I have tiny Seramas that run with GIANT Light Sussex, and some pretty hefty Orpingtons and Wyandottes.

I would be much more worried about mixing birds with obstructed vision (Polish, Silkies) with established birds than I would mixing bantams with LF. Generally the bantams are quicker, and can easily escape a LF bird easily. If space is an issue, then that's another matter. But you can mix them very successfully.

mixing serama with anything is fine, i have a rooster serama that can 'beat down' any other bird. but they are an exception to the rule, (showing serama is not easy, most judges thing they are bad jap's) mixing depends on the breeds and the individual birds

Quote:
Agreed. It's alllll about the individuals involved.

I didn't mention I also have in bantam: Polish, Silkie, Cochin, Ameraucana, Modern Game, Faverolles, Seramas....
And they all live happily with Large Fowl: Orps, Sussex, Wayndottes, Rocks, Ameraucanas, EE's, Marans, Olive Eggers, Leghorns, RIR's....

So you can mix ANY breed. Just not all individuals are compatible. There is a certain skill to integrating new birds as well. I prefer a long introduction period where they can see each other, just not fight with each other for a few weeks. After a while, they forget that they're new, and everyone just goes about their business.

Agreed about the Serama but I don't let my Serama free range here and in an enclosed pen, they would definitely have problems if there isn't plenty of room. The upside is that a pair of them take no more room than a rabbit in a hutch and they could easily put a hutch into the coop for a nice pair or trio. I have a really coop home made hutch I put out in front in the yard in the summer that holds a trio. They're very pretty to have out where they can be seen and they love attention.

PhiladelphiaPhlock,

I have 2 Araucana roosters of 6 that hated each other. I tried numerous times to integrate them. I will be putting 2 or 3 compatible in personality and color/type roosters to each breeding pen with hens and these 2 would fight bad every attempt I made for over a year. This year, when the temps got down to 13 below, very unusual here, I tried it again and they were done with the fighting. It was more about staying warm. Now I'm not going to separate them cause I worry they'll go back to old habits. They're both sweet to handle and all and both get along with all the other roos so we'll see what spring does to them

Back
Top Bottom