Laser pointers-anyone using against hawks?

Doesn't sound very practical. A hawk attack only takes a few seconds. What are the chances I'm going to be out there with a laser to actually prevent an attack?
Oh, they sit on the utility poles over my shop just on the other side of driveway and in the pasture just outside my back door and the trees behind the barn. I've watched them sitting for nearly an hour at a time. No problem going out the back door to light them up. I can hardly PREVENT an attack, but if I can DETER the bird and make it uncomfortable, it would be a good thing.

Oh, they sit on the utility poles over my shop just on the other side of driveway and in the pasture just outside my back door and the trees behind the barn. I've watched them sitting for nearly an hour at a time. No problem going out the back door to light them up. I can hardly PREVENT an attack, but if I can DETER the bird and make it uncomfortable, it would be a good thing.
Will it work, maybe. Worth a try. Just make sure there are no airplanes directly behind the birds.

A problem I would have using laser pointers is first you are likely going to need binnoculars to see where the laser is actually pointed when harassing the hawk. The next problem is you have to be there and aware of the hawk which distracts you from other activities if always watching for hawks.
They are close enough to see with the naked eye. Most times there is only one and it is very large. This fall I've noticed two that tend to stay close. I believe it is a breeding pair. They join each other on utiliy poles and follow each other to a particular cedar tree. l generally look out the windows as I go about my day. This last attack happened behind the barn, so I didn't see or hear anything. Just saw hawk hanging out back there in tree. Went out to run it off and another lifted from the ground. I knew it wasn't going to be good...

Will it work, maybe. Worth a try. Just make sure there are no airplanes directly behind the birds.
Right! We are not near any large airports, do see the occasional medical helicopter - I can certainly hear them, chances would be slim, and I wouldn't take that chance - that hawk isn't going anywhere.

They are close enough to see with the naked eye. Most times there is only one and it is very large. This fall I've noticed two that tend to stay close. I believe it is a breeding pair. They join each other on utiliy poles and follow each other to a particular cedar tree.

If they have a nest already, they may be determined to stay until the eggs are hatched and babies grown, no matter what you do.

But if they are just thinking of nesting, and you can encourage them to move away so they build a nest someplace else instead, that would probably make a big difference for your chickens this year.

I don't know if the laser pointer would do any good or not, but I'm definitely curious to hear what happens when you try it!

Back
Top Bottom