Laser pointers-anyone using against hawks?

o2bgreenntx

Songster
9 Years
Feb 1, 2014
Greenville, TX
Firstly - I free range my hens. I know predators are part and parcel of that choice. That being said, I've got a couple of large hawks hanging around, maybe a breeding pair, beautiful birds. Except when they take out one of my girls. They love to sit on a utility pole in the pasture and monitor the run, waiting for me to turn out. The run door doesn't open if I'm able to see a hawk. When I see them, I go out and chase them off - usually they don't go out of sight. I really don't want to kill them, just get them to relocate. Two states over would be dandy. A game warden told me he knows of some local chicken farmers having good results with laser pointers. I might could use it from the back door and not have to go out to the pasture several times a day.

Doesn't sound very practical. A hawk attack only takes a few seconds. What are the chances I'm going to be out there with a laser to actually prevent an attack?

A problem I would have using laser pointers is first you are likely going to need binnoculars to see where the laser is actually pointed when harassing the hawk. The next problem is you have to be there and aware of the hawk which distracts you from other activities if always watching for hawks.

Firstly - I free range my hens. I know predators are part and parcel of that choice. That being said, I've got a couple of large hawks hanging around, maybe a breeding pair, beautiful birds. Except when they take out one of my girls. They love to sit on a utility pole in the pasture and monitor the run, waiting for me to turn out. The run door doesn't open if I'm able to see a hawk. When I see them, I go out and chase them off - usually they don't go out of sight. I really don't want to kill them, just get them to relocate. Two states over would be dandy. A game warden told me he knows of some local chicken farmers having good results with laser pointers. I might could use it from the back door and not have to go out to the pasture several times a day.
Odds are the hawks are not waiting for your chickens to come out. Rather, they are surveying the ground below them for voles, mice and the occasional rabbit. Your chickens are targets of opportunity.

Odds are the hawks are not waiting for your chickens to come out. Rather, they are surveying the ground below them for voles, mice and the occasional rabbit. Your chickens are targets of opportunity.
As are the voles, mice and rabbit. To the hawk, they are all targets of opportunity to satisfy hunger.

Back
Top Bottom