Lash Egg and not laying

Anna and The Girls

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2017
Hello, I have three chickens, one that is 1.6 years and two that are 2.6 years old. None of them have been laying for about 3 months. A few weeks ago one had sour crop and today I found a lash egg. One has been fairly quiet and doesn't move much, but that has been going on for about five months. I don't know what to do about the lash egg, Please Help!

Here is more info on salpingitis, which causes lash eggs:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
It's possible that they same bird had the sour crop, salpingitis can back things up in the digestive tract. If you feel their abdomens, from behind and below the vent, you may find some bloating and it may be quite firm, and that will likely be your sick hen. Found early it may respond to antibiotics, but once they show symptoms (they are very good at hiding this) it is often advanced enough so that it does not respond to treatment. The long term prognosis is usually poor, though some of them can live for quite a while with it. The others likely are not laying due to molt and the reduced hours of daylight.

Ok, thank you so much. I have identified which one it was because she is very inactive and always fluffs up her feathers and scrunches up. Today she had a doughy crop and didn't eat much. I am not sure if anything will work, but I might try to call the vet. Thanks again.

You are welcome, and best of luck. If you see the vet let us know what they say, we all try to learn from every case.

Back
Top Bottom