Lash Egg??? graphic pictures warning. Could she survive???

I only got maybe 2 days in, I had Tetra Vet in water, but she did not drink much, then gave her Tylan for 2 days about 1/2cc orally each day- I squirt it onto a small piece of bread then give her the bread. But I guess I need to give her more.
She was sick in September. But not this bad. And she layed quite a few eggs maybe December. I took her poop to vet and asked for fecal float and gram stain and they said it came back clear. But I don't think they actually did the stain cuz the report said it was a centerfudge (sp?) test. I asked and they said this test would 'find everything and that if she had EYP she would not be alive'... so they had no clue and I was not going to argue with them. But they said give her nutra drench and that it would cure everything. I did and she did get better. But she was not this bad and did not have all that yellow stuff in her. But poops were about the same. But worms were negative.

Tylan is given in various dosages depending on where you read pretty much. I used to recommend 1/2 ml for a bantam, but you can give 5 to 20 mg per pound of weight, according to Plumbs VetHandbook.. That is 0.1 to 0.4 ml per pound up to 3 times a day. I am so sorry that your vet was not helpful, especially in getting a gram stain. Most vets either are not taught much about chickens in school, or they have no interest due to lack of making a lot of money on them. We have a vet in our family, and she says they were not taught much about chickens in vet school other than about bumblefoot. I hope that you don't give up, but just try giving her more of the Tylan, and keep her comfortable. It really is sad that most of us cannot diagnose our chickens until we get a necropsy to look inside at their organs. Maybe trying another vet who might be receptive to a gram stain could help. Casportpony has a good thread on where to buy Baytril or enrofloxacin, a drug banned for chickens, but one that may treat both gram negative and gram positive bacteria, which covers most infections. The thread is called "Baytril sources," if you want to search for it top of this page.
Please keep us informed of her condition, and I hope that she can feel better soon.

Well she is still hanging in there. Give her Tylan- 4th day today. Came home from work and she is standing and looks more perkie. So we will see.

Yes I also have rescued a hen with a broken egg inside. You can only try to help her. It is a given that chickens are hard to really bring back to THRIFTY once they have problems. It is something to keep in mind as it really can impact the whole flock. Culling birds is hard but sometimes necessary. I just tell myself there are more chickens for me to meet and add to my flock that are healthy. It is good to keep a log of your flock then you can kind of chart things and it can help you decide.Also ... broken eggs... causes... thin shells can be a problem... old age.... disrupted egg laying ... being chased by children or animals. Chickens like peace and quite to spite their own noisy sounds!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom