Lash egg or prolapsed vent??!! 4 year old Partridge Rock hen , photos and video

mrskenmore

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi all,

My 4 year old Partridge Rock hen Olivia Jade had a dirty butt as we are getting some really nasty winter weather today. I took her in for a wash and blow-dry of the area and found a hard warm mucus mass outside her vent with a tether still into her vent. It is the size of an unshelled walnut. Please see attached pics and video as to what this could be. I am thinking she is in the process of laying a lash egg and not sure of next steps. I could be wrong. I tried gently pulling and it diesnt come out easy. What should I do? She is my flock leader and is not currently exhibiting any other symptoms. I separated her in a crate inside and she is eating and drinking normally. I just don't know what to do next.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your help!

Warning- photos and video is a little graphic.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
4 year old Partridge rock- 7 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Found an obstruction next to vent as I noticed hens fluff on butt was dirty today

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Noticed it today

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Looks like some mucus with a little blood

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing that I know of

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Her normal Layer feed

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Washed the area

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
If I can treat I will, I can probably take her to the vet this week

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Sand

IMG-20240107-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20240107-WA0004.jpg
20240107_135951.jpg
20240107_162729.jpg

Last edited:
Is the object still there? Does it soften in a warm soak for about 20 minutes? Can you feel anything holding it that is attached? I would keep it moist with honey or oil, ointment, or cream. If there is just a stringy piece of tissue attaching it, I would still try to get it out or snip it. Calcium citrate with vitamin D can be given orally to help pass a lash egg, egg, or help with a prolapse. Let us know what happens.

Is the object still there? Does it soften in a warm soak for about 20 minutes? Can you feel anything holding it that is attached? I would keep it moist with honey or oil, ointment, or cream. If there is just a stringy piece of tissue attaching it, I would still try to get it out or snip it. Calcium citrate with vitamin D can be given orally to help pass a lash egg, egg, or help with a prolapse. Let us know what happens.
Yes, it is still there and it is being held in by her vent by a string. I was hesitant to cut it as I didn't know if this was a lash egg she passed or if it was a prolapse vent. I feel that since she is pooping and I can fully see her vent what I am looking at outside is a potential lash egg with some membrane still inside of her. When I pull, it doesn't come out. I am going to give her a warm soak and see how she does.

Thanks!

That doesn't look good. It almost looks like something she ate and is now getting rid of it and it's causing some problems on the way out. I wouldn't cut in case something is wrong. Hopefully you get some good help with your girl.
I really don't know how to help! 🤷‍♀️
It doesn't look like a lash egg but looks like a soft shell.

That doesn't look good. It almost looks like something she ate and is now getting rid of it and it's causing some problems on the way out. I wouldn't cut in case something is wrong. Hopefully you get some good help with your girl.
I really don't know how to help! 🤷‍♀️
It doesn't look like a lash egg but looks like a soft shell.
I think it was a soft shelled egg. We were able to pull it out gently and I soaked her and blew her dry. I will keep an eye on her tomorrow and see how she is doing.

Thanks all!

I would still get the calcium citrate with D3 and give her a dose each day. Tums or other calcium will do until you get that. That may help her if she has more of these in production. So glad that you were able to help her pass it.

I would still get the calcium citrate with D3 and give her a dose each day. Tums or other calcium will do until you get that. That may help her if she has more of these in production. So glad that you were able to help her pass it.

Will do! Thank you- they are all finishing their molt, so she hasn't laid since the fall.

Back
Top Bottom