Lash egg or...?

plaidapus

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2019
Berkeley, CA
My hens have been laying irregularly since a disruptive months-long crosscountry move.

Now that they're settling into a new routine and reestablishing, I've noticed one (likely Victoria) has been laying a few soft-shelled/shell-less eggs.

Today I found this bizarre tissue in the laying box with a little stool. Pink, it looks almost like an intestine with tissue and membrane.

Is this a weird lash egg or something else entirely?

Actively trying to get into the vet asap.

Attachments

• PXL_20210914_020017815.jpg
    PXL_20210914_020017815.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 26
Doesn't look like lash - as people have said, lash looks like cottage cheese.
That was how mine that did have it progressed tho - soft shell and then 'no' shell eggs (literally no shell membrane at all) then infection.
Up her calcium intake - direct dose with liquid if you can - to start stimulating her to put a shell on.
Keep an eye on her belly temp - chickens run hotter than humans, but lash eggs are made of puss and are caused by infection, so she'll be hotter than 'chicken' normal if that's the case.
Check against your other hens if you're unsure what's normal.
Hopefully, it's a fluke and she's not been getting enough grit. My hen that had it was a pullet coming into lay who was going crazy on the double-yolkers - prolly tore herself and caused the infection. Shell-less eggs can also be a sign of issues with the shell gland itself. If she's older, or a high production breed, this could possibly be the case.

Back
Top Bottom