Lash Egg??

tacosta1009

Songster
Feb 17, 2020
Hey, Ya'll!

I had a hen taken to the vet the other day, because she laid an egg white and yolk separately...no shell. Then, she pooped what looked like scrambled eggs. The vet said she didn't have a fever, and had me monitor her eating and drinking for a week. She's been on and off with that, but other day she laid this. Does it look like a lash egg? I'm very aggravated, because the vet charged me over $100 and didn't do anything. He told me it was likely stress. Help?

84E96F97-B8F4-4C6B-9C6A-F8D116A9B816_1_105_c.jpeg
856918BD-E34D-415C-BF87-064F5D2F7DC0_1_105_c.jpeg

Hey, Ya'll!

I had a hen taken to the vet the other day, because she laid an egg white and yolk separately...no shell. Then, she pooped what looked like scrambled eggs. The vet said she didn't have a fever, and had me monitor her eating and drinking for a week. She's been on and off with that, but other day she laid this. Does it look like a lash egg? I'm very aggravated, because the vet charged me over $100 and didn't do anything. He told me it was likely stress. Help?

View attachment 2690710View attachment 2690711
Can you cut it open, so we can see what's inside?

I did, I will try to take a picture of it by digging the pad out of the trash. When I opened it was was thick, much thicker than a normal egg. There was some egg white oozing, no yolk, it was "membraney" and stinky. It also had like balls of tissue attached to the skin.
Hopefully everything is still there. Always take a picture of it before cutting, & after cutting.

Sounds like a Lash egg though.

Hey, Ya'll!

View attachment 2690710View attachment 2690711

I did, I will try to take a picture of it by digging the pad out of the trash. When I opened it was was thick, much thicker than a normal egg. There was some egg white oozing, no yolk, it was "membraney" and stinky. It also had like balls of tissue attached to the skin.
Looks like a lot of shell membrane wrapped together, but could be indication of Salpingitis (Lash Egg), some type of shell gland defect or other.

Does she normally (before she this and the vet visit) lay hard shelled eggs or has be been having some problems?

I would give her extra calcium for 3-5 days. 1 Caltrate with D3.
An antibiotic may be in order to help with infection. Amoxicillin would be what I would use. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.
You can order fishmox online.

Is she acting normal, eating/drinking?

@Wyorp Rock Thank you! I started her on Tylan 50 while I waited for the AMYTL. I chased down one of those "online vets" while I was scrambling and that is what he recommended. I first noticed a soft egg in my nest box that belonged to one of my two Jersey Giants. Then, there was the whole egg white and egg yolk incident. At that point, I went to the vet. Since then, she does eat. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/amtyl

I will add oyster shells to the cage she's in as well as the 1 Caltrate.

I am so appreciative! I hate getting charged all this money with no answers!

It may be some time yet before vet schools start teaching about treating chickens. The rationale against it probably has a lot to do with chickens being a favorite meat source in our culture as well as very short life spans.

So we try to fill the gap here. You've had good advice from all the others. I'll just offer a source for the antibiotic suggested, and I also strongly suggest your hen be given it. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/

Back
Top Bottom