Lash egg?

5crazies

Songster
Dec 13, 2016
Northern IL
Update: It’s gone! I left it there so that I could create this post, do a little lash egg research & grab gloves. When I went back to remove it, it was gone! I’m not sure which hen(s) ate it. Will they get sick now too?

I just went to collect the eggs and found this in the nesting box. It looks like a little piece of cooked chicken meat.

Attachments

• D9FD72BF-2E94-42D5-8866-C7AAB098D2AD.jpeg
    D9FD72BF-2E94-42D5-8866-C7AAB098D2AD.jpeg
    685.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 6732ACBC-F586-48DC-A584-96B76B1B77C3.jpeg
    6732ACBC-F586-48DC-A584-96B76B1B77C3.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I am trying to find information on what we should do, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed before.
I don’t know which hen laid this so I’m not sure how to treat and I cannot isolate.
Are the other eggs safe to eat?

I am trying to find information on what we should do, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed before.
I don’t know which hen laid this so I’m not sure how to treat and I cannot isolate.
I always break my eggs into a little dish before I put them into the pan or the cookie dough. As long as they look good and don’t smell I would use them.
Nice job on the photos too! Good luck!

Do a search on lash egg and/or salpingitis.
A 'lash egg' is congealed pus from an infection in the reproductive tract.
Sometimes an antibiotic can 'cure' it.

@aart, was your "yes" to this question? Can other chickens get salpingitis from eating lash material? I'd never even thought of that, but it kind of makes sense...

No, it was to the title question, sorry I wasn't more clear.

Not sure.
@Wyorp Rock and/or @Eggcessive would know.
Hard to tell if that's a lash egg or several membranes (soft shells) wrapped together.
If you see another, try to grab it and dissect it more. Load us up with photos.

I would still be inclined to give the hen calcium for 3 days (1 Tablet Caltrate with D2) and consider giving Amoxicillin for 7-10 days at a dosage rate of 57mg per pound of weight twice a day.

To be honest, I'm not really sure if it could be spread through ingestion. I've never seen it mentioned in any research I've done.
Here's come good basic info of what Salpinigitis is and the causes.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

Back
Top Bottom