Lash egg?

FowlLove

Songster
Oct 18, 2017
My mom found this strange bean shaped thing in one of our hen's eggs this morning. I've never seen anything like this!
I'm worried that it could be a lash egg. There are no vets that will see chickens anywhere around us. Are there any OTC antibiotics/probiotics/etc. I could use for the whole flock? Or is it better to wait and see if any one in particular is acting strange? My chickens are all about 4 years old if that is relevant.

Attachments

• lash egg 1.jpg
    lash egg 1.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 34
  • lash egg 2.jpg
    lash egg 2.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 8
That may be lash material, but it looks awfully yolky to me. It may just be some kind of one time snafu, and may not repeat. I would personally just keep an eye on them, see if it happens again. Watch to see if any one looks off at all, or stops laying. If it does happen again, try to ID the bird doing it. Most birds passing lash material will no longer lay eggs. If it turns out to be lash material, then the usual treatment is Baytril (enrofloxacin), which usually has to come from a vet, but you can get in online at pigeon suppliers. If it's lash material then it is caused by salpingitis, which is notorious for not responding to treatment, but it's always worth trying. I would only treat the bird affected, not the flock. Baytril is not approved for use in poultry but vets will prescribe it for pets. Often the recommendation is to not use the eggs after treating with Baytril.
More on salpingitis here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Back
Top Bottom