Lash egg?

Jhsugg560

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2022
I have seen two of these things in the last month/month and a half. I have a mixed flock of 14 chickens some are 2 years old some are 4 1/2. I have no idea who is laying this and they all “seem” healthy. It’s about the size of a large green grape and rubbery. If it is a lash egg is there anything I can do to help them?

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0255.jpeg
    IMG_0255.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 13
That looks like a lash egg and a roundworm. I suggest de-worming your flock with Safeguard (fenfendazole) or Valbazen (albendazole). Since you don't know who passed the lash egg, nothing can be done. If you can figure out what hen it is, you could give her antibiotics.

Definitely looks like a lash egg - if you still have it, can you cut it in half and photograph the interior to confirm?

Unfortunately without being able to ID the bird you really won't be able to treat for it. And antibiotics only works in cases where the infection is bacterial, not viral (but there's no easy way to tell the difference).

Definitely looks like a lash egg - if you still have it, can you cut it in half and photograph the interior to confirm?

Unfortunately without being able to ID the bird you really won't be able to treat for it. And antibiotics only works in cases where the infection is bacterial, not viral (but there's no easy way to tell the difference).
Is this a contagious thing that the other chickens could get?? I’m not sure if I can stomach cutting it in half..

That looks like a lash egg and a roundworm. I suggest de-worming your flock with Safeguard (fenfendazole) or Valbazen (albendazole). Since you don't know who passed the lash egg, nothing can be done. If you can figure out what hen it is, you could give her antibiotics.
Ok thank you! I found safeguard liquid for goats can I use that with the chickens? And do you know the dosage for them?

Is this a contagious thing that the other chickens could get?? I’m not sure if I can stomach cutting it in half..
I have even gotten regular eggs out of the lady I knew the lash was from.. I agree that looks like lash material.

When I zoom in on my screen.. that "worm" has "legs" more like hair roots or something twig-ish.. not quite what I expect from worm.. but here to learn and don't always see well.

I have even gotten regular eggs out of the lady I knew the lash was from.. I agree that looks like lash material.

When I zoom in on my screen.. that "worm" has "legs" more like hair roots or something twig-ish.. not quite what I expect from worm.. but here to learn and don't always see well.
I just went and looked at it again and it’s the bedding I use for the layer box! The picture isn’t super clear so it looks just like a worm but it’s the bedding.

I'm actually not sure if salpingitis is contagious... maybe depends on the source of the infection, i.e. some bacteria that cause it can spread from bird to bird, or bird to humans.

Well, externally I'm 99% sure it's a lash egg. The definite confirmation is to see inside, as lash eggs can vary on outside appearance, but the insides are always similar.

I'm actually not sure if salpingitis is contagious... maybe depends on the source of the infection, i.e. some bacteria that cause it can spread from bird to bird, or bird to humans.

Well, externally I'm 99% sure it's a lash egg. The definite confirmation is to see inside, as lash eggs can vary on outside appearance, but the insides are always similar.
I think I found the chicken who is laying them.. she is my only one with a horribly messy bottom even after I clean her. Could that be a sign something is wrong with her?

I think I found the chicken who is laying them.. she is my only one with a horribly messy bottom even after I clean her. Could that be a sign something is wrong with her?
Salpingitis is a reproductive tract infection so it should cause some signs of illness, however I don't know if messy bottoms are one of them. I IDed my afflicted bird by noting roosting position and looking for signs of lethargy or slightly off behavior.

Back
Top Bottom