LASH EGGS

Pauline Carpenter

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
I just found a mess in a nest ... what appeared to be "LASH EGGS" from one chicken.
I check them often and can't tell who is acting sick ... recently lost one chicken to what appeared to be sudden hemmoragic liver and a 2nd chicken to what appeared to be internal infection as she faded and stunk so bad. The remaining chickens all look good - should I be concerned or suggestions??
20230715_154616.png
20230715_154345.png

Thank you - I hope so. I rescued my chickens from a man who said they were one ... they might be about 4 by now. Someone suggested giving apple cider vinegar, 1T per gallon, in their water and I read flax seeds help with hormones. They are look fine right now, 3 rhode island reds, sassy and hungry. SOoooo .... time will tell.

Unfortunately it's difficult to treat if you can't ID which bird it is, and in many cases it's untreatable depending on the cause of the infection (i.e. viral salpingitis cannot be treated).

Keep an eye on their behavior, if you get lucky you can kind of figure it out via behavior and sometimes location of the lash eggs (i.e. if they get dropped under the roost, and you know how roosted where that night) and then you can possibly try a round of antibiotics on the afflicted bird.

Unfortunately it's difficult to treat if you can't ID which bird it is, and in many cases it's untreatable depending on the cause of the infection (i.e. viral salpingitis cannot be treated).

Keep an eye on their behavior, if you get lucky you can kind of figure it out via behavior and sometimes location of the lash eggs (i.e. if they get dropped under the roost, and you know how roosted where that night) and then you can possibly try a round of antibiotics on the afflicted bird.
So far so good - suspect chicken has plenty of energy, in case viral I added apple cider vinegar to their water, keeping it fresh and flax seeds for reproductive health. Will see. I'm watching to see if any weakness.

UPDATE: Chickens are still ALL FINE!! I have been upping their protein, and they are all laying every other day. TODAY though ... I watched the thinnest, hyper chicken drop a lash egg in the yard, AFTER she laid a regular egg. Thoughts??

Since you know which bird it is you can try treating her with antibiotics. It will only treat bacterial caused salpingitis, there is no cure for viral infections.

I use enrofloxacin, dosage info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg.1441042/#post-23895564 - please also note the recommended egg withdrawal time.
Thank you. I have some Keflex on hand.
I really hate baytril, as I am a victim of fluoroquinolones myself. They were originally a chemo therapy agent, later used as antibiotic. They work by destroying the dna of bacteria's ability to replicate, but the trouble is that they also permanently destroy dna in nervous system as well as connective tissue. I try to avoid anything with FQs in it like the plague. Ever hear of it?

Thank you. I have some Keflex on hand.
I really hate baytril, as I am a victim of fluoroquinolones myself. They were originally a chemo therapy agent, later used as antibiotic. They work by destroying the dna of bacteria's ability to replicate, but the trouble is that they also permanently destroy dna in nervous system as well as connective tissue. I try to avoid anything with FQs in it like the plague. Ever hear of it?
Admittedly I didn't do any research into it, I just went with the recommendation on here for what I could obtain to treat my bird. But I will look into it, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom