Last 3 days

As long as you have removed the turners from your incubator (as they can be a hazard for hatched chicks) they'll be fine hatching upright and some people prefer to hatch them that way.

Good luck with your hatch.

As long as you have removed the turners from your incubator (as they can be a hazard for hatched chicks) they'll be fine hatching upright and some people prefer to hatch them that way.

Good luck with your hatch.
Thank you ☺️ we have started with our first pip I'm so excited 😊

Ok he/she has made it this far. It piped the shell between 2-3 am my question is does it take this long or should I be worried 😫 it's 5pm now
IMG_20210804_164222741.jpg

Is the chick still gasping/yawning/chewing? If so it is still absorbing the remains of the yolk and that's the most critical stage so leave it be until you no longer see it doing that. They can take up to 24 hours from the first external pip to fully hatch, but with that much missing shell the chick may need help once it's ready to unzip the egg.

Here's an article to read through while you wait so you know what to do if you need to assist: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Is the chick still gasping/yawning/chewing? If so it is still absorbing the remains of the yolk and that's the most critical stage so leave it be until you no longer see it doing that. They can take up to 24 hours from the first external pip to fully hatch, but with that much missing shell the chick may need help once it's ready to unzip the egg.

Here's an article to read through while you wait so you know what to do if you need to assist: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
The chick is still breathing and moving and chirping and he's still good and moist inside the shell but his beak is poked out and I haven't seen him return it back into the shell to keep breaking which is what's making me concerned that I'm going to have to help him out. And thank you for the article

Back
Top Bottom