Last call for Penny the Pekin with mystery skin ailment

Pics
Thank you all for your support. I haven't heard from the vet I called this morning, but I just made an appointment with a different one - an avian expert, and will get a skin scrape. Unfortunately I can't get her in until the 20th, but I'm on a waitlist for cancellations. I will order the permethrin and give that a try too.
Don't put anything on her without advice from the vet before the scrapping. Call and ask before you do anything.

How toxic is it to cats? Would I be able to use it then air out and it be safe for cats to be in coop if they wander in it? I'm asking because I'm building Fort Duck Knox again and noticed a number of bugs in the wood and I want to treat it before I finish it so I don't have problems later. Not even sure what to use...
Yes, safe once it is dry.

Pigeon people often provide a bath with borax to get rid of lice and mites that may be on the birds. I also found a page suggesting to use borax to remove mange mites from dogs. I would try giving her a nice warm bath with some borax mixed in, it shouldn't hurt her and may kill the mites.
That's a good idea! Haven't heard of the borax treatment before, but it is used to get rid of household insects so it stands to reason. In my mind anyway.

Does anyone know whether the treatment would be the same, or would it be different depending on what type it would be.
Red mite, Northern fowl mite, lice, treatment is permethrin.
gordons_spray_tsc_1.png ts_spray bottle.png

I am going to giver her a soak but my local grange does not sell anything for mite treatment except something natural with pumpkin seed. They used to carry permethrin but some FDA regulations made them stop. So I won't be able to get it for a few days :(
Do you live in the US?

I live in Western WA. I would have to hear back from the vet - still waiting - to get the name of the antibiotics she was on. I think the first one may have started with T - it was milky white, and the second one definitely started with C and was clear. I have added ACV to their food every day but was worried it would sting if applied topically. Do you think I should dab it on with a cotton ball?

I ordered the permethrin and will receive it in the next couple days. Will treat the coop right away, but not sure if I should go ahead and do the ducks as well, since I'm not sure? I don't want to make her worse, no matter what. I did soak her in epsom salts this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom