Last call for Penny the Pekin with mystery skin ailment

Hi BYC friends! I want to give you an update after my vet appointment for Penny. First, I was so encouraged by my experience at this vet. The doctor spent over an hour with us, and seemed much more knowledgable than my first vet. He said she has a really bad bacterial infection. He does not suspect parasites at all. He looked at some samples under the microscope and we sent away a culture so we'll know for sure just what type of bacteria and what type of antibiotic will be best. We've started her on a 30 day antibiotic as we don't want to wait a week for the culture to come back, since things were getting worse. I will use bleach to disinfect her pools and water/food dishes. It's just kind of a wait and see I guess to see if she can conquer it, but I left feeling encouraged. Thank you all for your kind thoughts, prayers, ideas, and checking in!! The support meant so much, and I will let you know how things develop in the coming weeks!

Hi BYC friends! I want to give you an update after my vet appointment for Penny. First, I was so encouraged by my experience at this vet. The doctor spent over an hour with us, and seemed much more knowledgable than my first vet. He said she has a really bad bacterial infection. He does not suspect parasites at all. He looked at some samples under the microscope and we sent away a culture so we'll know for sure just what type of bacteria and what type of antibiotic will be best. We've started her on a 30 day antibiotic as we don't want to wait a week for the culture to come back, since things were getting worse. I will use bleach to disinfect her pools and water/food dishes. It's just kind of a wait and see I guess to see if she can conquer it, but I left feeling encouraged. Thank you all for your kind thoughts, prayers, ideas, and checking in!! The support meant so much, and I will let you know how things develop in the coming weeks!
Yay this is wonderful news, I'm so happy!! Maybe I'll switch vets. ;-)

Did they say anything about your other duck who seems to be coming down with the same condition? Or is she better now?

@KaleIAm The doctor set up the prescription with two refills, in case we need to go an extra couple of weeks with Penny, but also in case I need it it for Puddles, which was great. The other amazing thing is that he took a lot of time trying to figure out how to make the medication affordable. To get it out of their clinic it was going to be over $200 for a 30 day supply. He called it into QFC, where they have a special rate for animal prescriptions, and it was only $43 for the same amount. Who knew that the regular grocery store could give meds to animals?!

Hey just read your update! I am so happy you went to this new vet! Sounds like you found a good one and that finally you have hope that this maybe over soon. Awesome he spent so much time and then found meds at a lower price. It’s great you now have a diagnosis and hoping the meds take care of it for Penny an Puddles too.

@Miss Lydia, sorry I didn't see your message earlier. Well, she seems about the same, but it's still early with the antibiotic. Here's the message I got from the vet last night with the culture results:

"The culture grew heavy growth of Staphylococcus aureus (normal staff from people's skin) and light growth of Ecoli (common in feces of mammals and to a lesser extent birds). Either can cause infections once established in the skin, usually from some initial trauma or wound but not always. The staph I am more suspect of but actually both are sensitive on the antibiotic sensitivity profile to the TMS that I had you pick up at the QFC"

So, still perplexed about how she got it - no wounds ever! But hoping this does treatment does the trick. I have an appointment to go back for a check in three weeks, and the option to continue the antibiotic for longer if necessary.

Thanks for asking! I hope one day to post a message that she is completely healed! Happy Thanksgiving!

Back
Top Bottom