Last call for Penny the Pekin with mystery skin ailment

CoriM

Songster
Jun 6, 2019
Hi BYC friends! I want to give you an update after my vet appointment for Penny. First, I was so encouraged by my experience at this vet. The doctor spent over an hour with us, and seemed much more knowledgable than my first vet. He said she has a really bad bacterial infection. He does not suspect parasites at all. He looked at some samples under the microscope and we sent away a culture so we'll know for sure just what type of bacteria and what type of antibiotic will be best. We've started her on a 30 day antibiotic as we don't want to wait a week for the culture to come back, since things were getting worse. I will use bleach to disinfect her pools and water/food dishes. It's just kind of a wait and see I guess to see if she can conquer it, but I left feeling encouraged. Thank you all for your kind thoughts, prayers, ideas, and checking in!! The support meant so much, and I will let you know how things develop in the coming weeks!

KaleIAm

Songster
Jul 13, 2015
Carnation, Wa
Hi BYC friends! I want to give you an update after my vet appointment for Penny. First, I was so encouraged by my experience at this vet. The doctor spent over an hour with us, and seemed much more knowledgable than my first vet. He said she has a really bad bacterial infection. He does not suspect parasites at all. He looked at some samples under the microscope and we sent away a culture so we'll know for sure just what type of bacteria and what type of antibiotic will be best. We've started her on a 30 day antibiotic as we don't want to wait a week for the culture to come back, since things were getting worse. I will use bleach to disinfect her pools and water/food dishes. It's just kind of a wait and see I guess to see if she can conquer it, but I left feeling encouraged. Thank you all for your kind thoughts, prayers, ideas, and checking in!! The support meant so much, and I will let you know how things develop in the coming weeks!
Yay this is wonderful news, I'm so happy!! Maybe I'll switch vets. ;-)

Did they say anything about your other duck who seems to be coming down with the same condition? Or is she better now?

CoriM

Songster
Jun 6, 2019
@KaleIAm The doctor set up the prescription with two refills, in case we need to go an extra couple of weeks with Penny, but also in case I need it it for Puddles, which was great. The other amazing thing is that he took a lot of time trying to figure out how to make the medication affordable. To get it out of their clinic it was going to be over $200 for a 30 day supply. He called it into QFC, where they have a special rate for animal prescriptions, and it was only $43 for the same amount. Who knew that the regular grocery store could give meds to animals?!

Miss Lydia

Drakes are Awesome
Premium member
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Hey just read your update! I am so happy you went to this new vet! Sounds like you found a good one and that finally you have hope that this maybe over soon. Awesome he spent so much time and then found meds at a lower price. It’s great you now have a diagnosis and hoping the meds take care of it for Penny an Puddles too.

CoriM

Songster
Jun 6, 2019
@Miss Lydia, sorry I didn't see your message earlier. Well, she seems about the same, but it's still early with the antibiotic. Here's the message I got from the vet last night with the culture results:

"The culture grew heavy growth of Staphylococcus aureus (normal staff from people's skin) and light growth of Ecoli (common in feces of mammals and to a lesser extent birds). Either can cause infections once established in the skin, usually from some initial trauma or wound but not always. The staph I am more suspect of but actually both are sensitive on the antibiotic sensitivity profile to the TMS that I had you pick up at the QFC"

So, still perplexed about how she got it - no wounds ever! But hoping this does treatment does the trick. I have an appointment to go back for a check in three weeks, and the option to continue the antibiotic for longer if necessary.

Thanks for asking! I hope one day to post a message that she is completely healed! Happy Thanksgiving!

Top Bottom