Last choice... RIR or Golden Comet

I know you are not deciding about the SLW (or not) but from what I have read about SLW vs. Barred Rock, the BR are friendlier and the SLW are iffy. I have been on the edge of getting a SLW myself, and I have actually decided NOT to. Similar feather color for a nice small flock...

I have to vote for the golden comet. I have both and just like the hybrid bird better for egg quality and size.

I have 9 golden comets and they lay extremely well. They lay jumbo eggs. I get a double yoke a few times a week. Each one lays an egg almost everyday. They are also very quiet and calm.

Depends on your goal.

I would not get a golden comet because it is a mutt.

The best breed for eggs is Black Australorp; holds the world record. Mine are docile, can be handled though I did not handle a lot as chicks, and the roo was not hostile. They are black but have a beautiful green sheen to the feathers in the sunlight.

If you are getting Auracana from a hatchery such as Ideal or MM, you are getting an EE, another mutt, not an Auracana.

Nothing wrong with mutts -- but realize what you are getting.

golden comets = golden sex-links?

why not a few of both?

RIRs are great because they also make a great meat bird. we had rescued some hens from a family who's grandfather passed away and there was nobody who could take care of them. they are 6+ years old and the one that is still alive, 65 yen, is still laying an egg a day. the golden buff color is a really pretty color too. i've had black & red stars sex-link) and they all lay and egg a day. hope i've been a help...

RIR gets my vote , I don't find none of my hens very noisy at all , but my Roos , well thats a dif story , LOL
smile.png

Quote:
I have thirty plus hens and three roos. My neighbor has three yappy dogs. A neutral third neighbor says the dogs are much louder. It's a timing thing...the hens are singing from 7am to noon and rarely make a sound after that, while the dogs go off any time there is movement on the street.

I have RIR's and we love them. I would def. say rir one reason they last longer than the golden comet. the comet does lay good but they do not breed back true, BUT you can't have roosters so that really doesnt matter. my reds are not that noisy now the roos are another story. they can be loud sometimes when something scairs them but my neighbors dog barks louder than my hens. not a neighbor one has ever complained.

Back
Top Bottom