Need some experienced Wyandotte owner's feedback (Texas Heat)

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
Looking to add some chicks to the flock again this year. I am interested in the silver laced wyandotte breed. One article I read says they are good with heat a cold but another one says because of their dense feathering, they have a lot of trouble in hot weather. I am in Texas and we get some scorching hot summers most years. Should I look into another breed? Current flock is 2 Red sl (comets), aka "The Terrorist Sisters", 1 Buff Orpington, 2 Sapphire Gems, 1 Speckled Sussex. My plan is to add 1 more Speckled Sussex, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes. If the Wyandottes can't handle our summer heat, I will go with 2 Barred Rocks.

Any advice on the SLWs? Will this blend of breeds work well? I am effectively managing the 2 pushy girls, but when the go to chickie heaven NO more of that breed. lol

How does your BO do in the Texas heat? I'm in Colorado and have 1 BO that is several years old and three SLW's that will be 1 year old in April. We don't have the heat that you would and I see my BO panting during our summer. Perhaps she is more acclimated to cold and less acclimated to heat, so heat affects her more...anyway, I think the SLW's will be similar in size and fluffyness to the BO. So, I expect the same panting from the SLWs.

Looking to add some chicks to the flock again this year. I am interested in the silver laced wyandotte breed. One article I read says they are good with heat a cold but another one says because of their dense feathering, they have a lot of trouble in hot weather. I am in Texas and we get some scorching hot summers most years. Should I look into another breed? Current flock is 2 Red sl (comets), aka "The Terrorist Sisters", 1 Buff Orpington, 2 Sapphire Gems, 1 Speckled Sussex. My plan is to add 1 more Speckled Sussex, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes. If the Wyandottes can't handle our summer heat, I will go with 2 Barred Rocks.

Any advice on the SLWs? Will this blend of breeds work well? I am effectively managing the 2 pushy girls, but when the go to chickie heaven NO more of that breed. lol

I'm in Ohio so I'm sure I don't get the heat you do but we do get in the '90's and very high humidity. I've had silver laced wyandottes in every flock I've had, love the way they look. They do as good as any other cold/hot hardy breed. Just supply them with fresh, cold water like you would any other chicken. And shade. They'll be fine

How does your BO do in the Texas heat? I'm in Colorado and have 1 BO that is several years old and three SLW's that will be 1 year old in April. We don't have the heat that you would and I see my BO panting during our summer. Perhaps she is more acclimated to cold and less acclimated to heat, so heat affects her more...anyway, I think the SLW's will be similar in size and fluffyness to the BO. So, I expect the same panting from the SLWs.
My Buff does pant on the hottest, most humid days, but no more than my other girls who are supposed to do well in hot climates. I have never seen the SLW in person so I didn't know if they were fluffy or not when full grown. Thanks for that comparison.

I can usually find my girls parked in front of the wall of frozen jugs I put in the run daily for them during the summer. I either put them where the south wind blows across them with room on the other side for the girls to lounge or put some in a pan in the coop with a fan blowing over them to try to cool it down a bit for them. The only one of my girls who didn't seem to mind the heat this year was my Speckled Sussex. Not much panting or wing spreading from her even though she seems kinda fluffy too.

The location of your coop and run determines how well they handle the heat. A south facing coop or run with little shade would make a wyandotte a poor choice.My coop and run is partially shaded and well ventilated so I have no issues keeping cold or heat tolerant birds in WV

The location of your coop and run determines how well they handle the heat. A south facing coop or run with little shade would make a wyandotte a poor choice.My coop and run is partially shaded and well ventilated so I have no issues keeping cold or heat tolerant birds in WV
my setup is an old metal carport turned into a very open air run with 2 extra side yards under shade cloths for them to forage in. They get a lot of southerly wind and can get out of the wind on either the north or south side of the coop. It is located on the East side of our metal workshop so it gets lots of afternoon shade also. Some of our summers are really hot, so it still hot in the shade, especially when our humidity kicks in. The frozen jugs are their favorite way to cool off. I can't get them to stand in the numerous water tubs I put out for them, even with cinder block pavers in them.

The degree of fluffiness will also depend on the type and source of the chicken within a breed. Hatchery stock tend to be less luscious and fluffy than breeder stock, hatchery chickens tend to look more "ordinary" than what the true breed calls for. With Orpingtons there's also a big difference between English style and American style. Hatcheries usually sell American style, which are slimmer and less fluffy and not much different than just generic chickens in terms of shape and fluff. English Orpingtons that come from a breeder, on the other hand, can be as round as a basketball and extremely fluffy. I've had both hatchery stock American Orpingtons and breeder stock English Orpingtons and they are like two completely different breeds! The hatchery Orps do fine in the summer, but my English basketballs suffer quite a lot - they pant and spread their wings out and get sluggish and just miserable (we have frequent 90-degree stretches and really high humidity in the summer). I haven't had breeder stock Wyandottes so no personal experience, but with the hatchery quality Wyandottes I have had I've noticed a similar difference - they don't get as round and fluffy as they are supposed to per breed standard. And mine have been fine in the hot summers. So, if you want to be on the safe side, get yourself some generic hatchery Wyandottes that won't get thick and fluffy, and they'll probably be fine.

For your climate I would advise to choose "mediterranean" breeds like Ancona, Leghorn, Minorca and similar which will be better equipped to endure scorching heat because of their large combs and wattles as well as clean legs.

But any breed would need lots of shade and bushes to hide under.

For your climate I would advise to choose "mediterranean" breeds like Ancona, Leghorn, Minorca and similar which will be better equipped to endure scorching heat because of their large combs and wattles as well as clean legs.

But any breed would need lots of shade and bushes to hide under.
Well I have never seen the Minorcas or Anconas offered around here. I don't want to order direct from a hatchery and risk getting DOAs in my package. :( Nor do I want to deal with our local post office. Not a very friendly crowd at mine. I don't like leghorns because of their temperament/flightiness. Yes, I know there are exceptions to every breed. I just know I am not that lucky. lol I want birds that I can 'tame' and handle so when I need to examine them or treat them for anything I am not beat to death by a flailing chicken or run to almost heart attack level trying to catch one might need to be contained for some reason. lol I am not home when they are sleeping so getting them off the roost night isn't a fix for me. Even my sister's leghorns put up quite a fight when she's had to do that, she tells me. I would hope that the places offering chicks would tend to order the breeds that fare well in the local climates, but it is a biz after all so what do I know.

Back
Top Bottom