Last few days of incubation........what am I doing wrong

cbourbeau32

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
I am in my third incubation of guinea eggs and the first two had a much lower hatch success rate than I do for chicken eggs using the same incubator and same exact procedure. I have been getting about 65%-70% of the eggs placed in the incubator to the final stages of incubation and then only maybe 30% (maybe a little less) actually hatch. About half of the ones that start hatching die during the pipping stage and the rest just die before even starting the pip (or they start but never break through). I've read that some people spray water over the eggs on the last two or three days to ensure proper pipping. Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to increase your success rate? I have 13 going well right now on day15 and would like to get as many as possible across the finish line successfully.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie

I do mist into the incubator and aim for 70% humidity at hatch. I also keep humidity higher during incubation compared to my chicken eggs, so 40-45% instead of 35%. Are your temps correct?

Back
Top Bottom