Regarding hatching

garfieldGeorgia

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2023
So i've had a few experiences with hatching eggs. Last year I used one of the square styrofoam incubators which holds 41 eggs... and the hatch rate was about half. Twice. That thing is terrible at keeping the humidity levels consistent.

Then in late fall, I used one of the Nurture Right 360 incubators for 9 eggs off ebay... dry incubation until the last three days, and only 2 hatched.

So now i've got two nurture right incubators full of eggs, 4 days along, and development is clear when candling the eggs. I'm keeping the humidity 40-50, whenever i'm around it.

To those of you who have experience with this... what should I do to ensure better hatch rates?

So i've had a few experiences with hatching eggs. Last year I used one of the square styrofoam incubators which holds 41 eggs... and the hatch rate was about half. Twice. That thing is terrible at keeping the humidity levels consistent.

Then in late fall, I used one of the Nurture Right 360 incubators for 9 eggs off ebay... dry incubation until the last three days, and only 2 hatched.

So now i've got two nurture right incubators full of eggs, 4 days along, and development is clear when candling the eggs. I'm keeping the humidity 40-50, whenever i'm around it.

To those of you who have experience with this... what should I do to ensure better hatch rates?
Holding the temp close to 99.5 and humidity where you have it is about the only two things needed. I don't open my incubators up but for twice to candle them. Once at 7 days to toss any infertile ones, and when I do lockdown. I pull that rack out and lay down a rubber shelf liner cut to fit. I candle them at that time.

Make sure your vent is always open to at least half way, if not all.

I have had trouble getting the humidity in the NR360 to stay up to 50-ish so put a little distilled water in the B slot too.

Shipped eggs will always be a lower hatch rate. I'm happy if I get half but usually get a bit better than half. I sit the shipped eggs in a carton, smaller side down, for 24 hours before putting in the incubator, then don't let them turn for a couple of days.

Holding the temp close to 99.5 and humidity where you have it is about the only two things needed. I don't open my incubators up but for twice to candle them. Once at 7 days to toss any infertile ones, and when I do lockdown. I pull that rack out and lay down a rubber shelf liner cut to fit. I candle them at that time.

Make sure your vent is always open to at least half way, if not all.

I have had trouble getting the humidity in the NR360 to stay up to 50-ish so put a little distilled water in the B slot too.

Shipped eggs will always be a lower hatch rate. I'm happy if I get half but usually get a bit better than half. I sit the shipped eggs in a carton, smaller side down, for 24 hours before putting in the incubator, then don't let them turn for a couple of days.
Also........ if the humidity is going up and down based on when I can get there to put more water in.... like right now i put water in and bring it up to 55 in the morning, but when I come back at the end of the day, it's at 30. So then I put it back up... til the next time when it's low again.
Will that affect hatch rates?

Also........ if the humidity is going up and down based on when I can get there to put more water in.... like right now i put water in and bring it up to 55 in the morning, but when I come back at the end of the day, it's at 30. So then I put it back up... til the next time when it's low again.
Will that affect hatch rates?
No, it's the average that matters. In lockdown though, it matters more.

My NR360 does that all the time. I put a Govee hygrometer/thermometer in there now so at least I can set it up to send me a notification if it hits 40 because then I know it's going down.

I never used that incubator but in general four things are important for better hatch rate, temperature, humidity, oxygen and egg rotation, find out which one of these your incubator couldn't provide at optimal level.
How old were the eggs before adding to the incubator? how they were stored and handled?

Back
Top Bottom