First time hatching - Nurture Right 360 Temp Question

sco80

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2024
Hi! I am warming up my incubator (Nurture Right 360) for my first attempt at hatching eggs. These eggs were shipped, and I would really like to maximize my chances of a successful hatch. The eggs are currently resting (going into the incubator tomorrow). I have the incubator all warmed up, and I purchased a pack of three Hygrometers/Thermometers from Amazon to verify the calibration of the built-in thermometer in the incubator. I placed the Amazon Hygrometers/Thermometers inside the incubator in three positions around the "outer" egg ring. The incubator itself reads a steady 99.5F and 45 Humidity. The three independent thermometers/hygrometers read 97.1F/34H, 98.2F/34H and 96.8F/34H. I am assuming this variance is due to the built-in thermometer being located directly over the center of the incubator.

I was thinking about adjusting the incubator's built-in temperature setting until all the Amazon Hygrometers/Thermometers in the outside ring read higher than the minimum reliable temperature for incubation (I'm thinking this would be somewhere around 98.5F). Am I overthinking this? Am I in danger of overheating the eggs in the inner ring? What temperature setting do you find works best for the Nurture Right 360?

Thanks,
Scott

Hi! I am warming up my incubator (Nurture Right 360) for my first attempt at hatching eggs. These eggs were shipped, and I would really like to maximize my chances of a successful hatch. The eggs are currently resting (going into the incubator tomorrow). I have the incubator all warmed up, and I purchased a pack of three Hygrometers/Thermometers from Amazon to verify the calibration of the built-in thermometer in the incubator. I placed the Amazon Hygrometers/Thermometers inside the incubator in three positions around the "outer" egg ring. The incubator itself reads a steady 99.5F and 45 Humidity. The three independent thermometers/hygrometers read 97.1F/34H, 98.2F/34H and 96.8F/34H. I am assuming this variance is due to the built-in thermometer being located directly over the center of the incubator.

I was thinking about adjusting the incubator's built-in temperature setting until all the Amazon Hygrometers/Thermometers in the outside ring read higher than the minimum reliable temperature for incubation (I'm thinking this would be somewhere around 98.5F). Am I overthinking this? Am I in danger of overheating the eggs in the inner ring? What temperature setting do you find works best for the Nurture Right 360?

Thanks,
Scott
Most incubators, including my NR360 and Brinsea 56EX, show incorrect readings for temp, humidity, or both. I trust my hygrometer/thermometers though.

My NR360 is incubating right now and shows 102.5, which is 99.5F.

There is a fan in there, and make sure the vent is open for circulation and that the turner is turning. A slight variance may be normal, but not a couple of degrees.

When testing for 1 week prior to setting eggs for a dry incubation method my NR 360 showed variance in temp and relative humidity compared to two hygrometers until the incubator RH was at 40%- then all units matched in T and RH. It was the button hygrometers that were much lower in T and RH.

What’s the height of your thermometers in the 360? Mine show 97.8 to 98.1 when flat in the bottom, but 99.4 to 99.8 when placed at the height of the top of the egg.

Edit: To add, my 360 is new, our first hatch, and the humidity sensor on it was accurate, but the temp was a little off. I run it at 100 to maintain 99.5.

Also, it’s day 20 and I think I see the first pip!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2853.jpeg
    IMG_2853.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 8
What’s the height of your thermometers in the 360? Mine show 97.8 to 98.1 when flat in the bottom, but 99.4 to 99.8 when placed at the height of the top of the egg.

Edit: To add, my 360 is new, our first hatch, and the humidity sensor on it was accurate, but the temp was a little off. I run it at 100 to maintain 99.5.

Also, it’s day 20 and I think I see the first pip!!!!!
I ordered an extra GQF hygrometer/thermometer to use in mine. It should be here tomorrow. Its no bigger than a couple inches in height by the looks of it, its rectangular in shape and looks like it will work well in the NR 360. I have several thermometers and hygrometers and will test it with all of them before I put any eggs in it. I am using the NR 360 strictly as a hatcher.

I ordered an extra GQF hygrometer/thermometer to use in mine. It should be here tomorrow. Its no bigger than a couple inches in height by the looks of it, its rectangular in shape and looks like it will work well in the NR 360. I have several thermometers and hygrometers and will test it with all of them before I put any eggs in it. I am using the NR 360 strictly as a hatcher.
I would suggest taking a day and moving it around inside as you'll see some differences in temp, and the height is the biggest factor in mine! Mine holds the temp perfectly, and humidity seems easy to control so far.

I am on my second hatch in a NR360 and have been moving my thermometers around with varied results. I noticed that if I put my Govee in the very middle it averages 97 degrees. The inside ring around 98 and the outside ring 99.5. I had to set the incubator at 100.5 to get the 99.5. There is a difference when I lay them flat and stand on their side with the flat being a lower temperature.

My first hatch I only had the thermometers on the outside ring, but after looking over my records I see that the inside ring eggs had two late hatchers, one that never pipped another another that had a chick that kept flipping on its back. It survived but is much smaller than the other chicks. I wonder if the lower inside temp was the issue.

I am on my second hatch and have rotated the eggs between the inside and outside ring. I emailed the company to ask about this problem, but have not heard back. I don't know if I have a dud or am just too obsessed with the temp and should just let the incubator do its job.

Back
Top Bottom