Nurture Right 360

Yeah I feel like it should do fine like that. Uninsulated. You might have something else going on. But you have to remember it has a fan too. But also if that's your ambient I would definitely say the heating pad is the first thing I would rule out. I wouldn't use that in my situation but definitely don't think you should need anything in yours.

I feel like one will
I have not had that experience. I would say it's either your incubator or the ambient temperature surrounding it. I would totally do a wrap before a heating pad though. Because I feel like having that heat come up through your water is going to make humidity tougher to manage. Insulated walls would make it all more stable than a heated floor.
I don’t use water. I dry hatch

But even if you dry hatch I don't think you need a heating pad under it if your ambient is 73. I don't know. I'd try it though. I feel like for the most part they're pretty solid. Unless you've got a faulty one.

Do you have eggs in your incubator or are you just running it empty trying to get it dialed in? I don’t have any experience with your model incubator but I know on my home made incubator when I was trying to test things without eggs in it the hot and cold spots were horrible. The thermal mass of the eggs do make a huge difference to get everything stabilized.

Do you have eggs in your incubator or are you just running it empty trying to get it dialed in? I don’t have any experience with your model incubator but I know on my home made incubator when I was trying to test things without eggs in it the hot and cold spots were horrible. The thermal mass of the eggs do make a huge difference to get everything stabilized.
Good point! But with my familiarity it's pretty reliable on testing. But I guess it depends on what you're using. Again not my expertise😆 But I do think at 73° ambient somethings not right. It shouldn't be having a problem with that, even all by itself, at all. Water or not.

Setting the incubator on a heating pad on low is a standard procedure I’ve always used in an air conditioned house.
Doesn't make it right (and I'm not saying my way is). Was it this bator? My house runs around 55- 60 degrees year round with no air condition (sometimes heated via electric furnace).. wrapping with towels while avoiding vents.. is GOOD solid advice.. As is remove the heating pad. No amount of good advice will change what you believe until you try it and I'm not here to argue points.. but can confirm the validity of insulation.

I very much dislike the NR360 and sold mine shortly after getting it, for various reasons.

To combat the difference in air temp.. rotate eggs between the two areas (hens also do this naturally).. once per day, every couple days, when you candle, etc. Regardless of what bator you're working with.. figure its ins and outs and work WITH it.

One more great tip.. the towels is the biggest and easiest.. but using a box larger than the bator.. to stabilize temps works well, just sat over the top. Sometimes I just loosely stack them to create a fort of sorts. That extra pocket of insulation even created just by air.. makes a difference.. in MY experience.

Insulating the outer walls will automatically raise or equalize the temp difference inside at least some.. try it. My house has some rooms with single verse dual pane windows.. the heater is the same and the single paned rooms are so much colder while the dual pain rooms are comfy. In fact, oddly enough.. the NR360. (or some others).. are made to work WITH the styrofoam packing that comes in the box. Though that isn't made so clear on the directions.

Also, it's entirely possible (though not ideal) to only use the inner or outer ring.

Dry hatch doesn't mean don't use water as that will depend on your environment.

More humid air holds temperatures better. Dryer air fluctuates more.

The thermal mass of the eggs do make a huge difference to get everything stabilized.
I don't think that will combat hot and cool spots.. but it definitely helps with overall stability and especially in the event of power outages.. any extra space in my bators gets filled with egg size rocks, sand & water filled water bottles, etc.. I call them heat syncs like for computers, & usually include from start up if (eventual) space allows. Power outages are a common occurrence here, so always a consideration.

Hope you find some of these tips helpful. :fl

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Last edited:
I don't think that will combat hot and cool spots.. but it definitely helps with overall stability and especially in the event of power outages.. any extra space in my bators gets filled with egg size rocks, sand & water filled water bottles, etc.. I call them heat syncs like for computers, & usually include from start up if (eventual) space allows. Power outages are a common occurrence here, so always a consideration.

In my experience it did help with hot spots. It might be specific to my incubator since its home made it might be an odd ball. With the extra thermal mass it the heating element doesn’t come on as often. It seems to me like it spends less time heating the air and more time circulating the already heated air. The temperature stays more even across the incubator. It’s possible that my heating element is oversized or something and causing the hot spots all I know it that adding eggs helps keep things in check.

Doesn't make it right (and I'm not saying my way is). Was it this bator? My house runs around 55- 60 degrees year round with no air condition (sometimes heated via electric furnace).. wrapping with towels while avoiding vents.. is GOOD solid advice.. As is remove the heating pad. No amount of good advice will change what you believe until you try it and I'm not here to argue points.. but can confirm the validity of insulation.

I very much dislike the NR360 and sold mine shortly after getting it, for various reasons.

To combat the difference in air temp.. rotate eggs between the two areas (hens also do this naturally).. once per day, every couple days, when you candle, etc. Regardless of what bator you're working with.. figure its ins and outs and work WITH it.

One more great tip.. the towels is the biggest and easiest.. but using a box larger than the bator.. to stabilize temps works well, just sat over the top. Sometimes I just loosely stack them to create a fort of sorts. That extra pocket of insulation even created just by air.. makes a difference.. in MY experience.

Insulating the outer walls will automatically raise or equalize the temp difference inside at least some.. try it. My house has some rooms with single verse dual pane windows.. the heater is the same and the single paned rooms are so much colder while the dual pain rooms are comfy. In fact, oddly enough.. the NR360. (or some others).. are made to work WITH the styrofoam packing that comes in the box. Though that isn't made so clear on the directions.

Also, it's entirely possible (though not ideal) to only use the inner or outer ring.

Dry hatch doesn't mean don't use water as that will depend on your environment.

More humid air holds temperatures better. Dryer air fluctuates more.

Oh my gosh the styrofoam! Mine is long gone. Wish I would have read this 2 years ago!

Back
Top Bottom