Last Hatch was an utter failure! I need some advice on good hatches.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KinderKorner, Apr 5, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Okay so I've hatched about 5 times. I always get at least 50% hatch rate.

This time, I got 3 chicks out of 28 eggs! [​IMG]

Thats terrible! I have a still air hova bator 1582.

I've seen some people say they got a 100% hatch rate. I was was wondering how can this be. I kept the temperature steady around 100 degrees. I kept the water tray full, then filled the second one on day 18 like your suppose to. I actually think what I did was open it to many times at the end. I want to keep it closed the last few days but something happens and it gets opened like 2-3 times a day.. It needs more water, or a chick needs help.. ect. This time I am going to tape the lid shut if I have too to keep from opening it.

I really want to buy some hatching eggs from other people. But I am to scared to spend $50 on chicks and only get 3 to hatch. If they are just my mutts it's not so bad of a loss.

Most of the eggs were nearly finished devolped. I even had one pip then die. So I'm asking for advice. I plan on hatching one more set of my mutts and seeing if I can get a better hatch rate before I spend a bunch of money on eggs from others. But it would be nice to have some tips on what might be happening. Please Help

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    If your opening the incubator 50 times in the last three days I don't think any advice will help your eggs. And a chick doesn't need help, if it can't get out of the shell on its on it probably won't make it even if you do "help" it. A still air incubator should be kept at 102 degrees not 100...... good luck..

3. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    50 times was an over statement. lol I probably opened it twice a day.

And I was attempting to get the tempertures up. But for some reason it seems like the bator just couldn't get past 100.

I agree on not helping eggs. But then I don't. My first hatches I helped quite often and only one or so died. But this time I promised myself not to 'help' any. But it ended up dying during hatch so now I feel terrible. Helping it probably wouldn't of helped, but I still feel bad sitting back and letting them struggle until death.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree!

5. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Agree with what?

I know I shouldn't open the bator but it's sooo hard. I've promised myself this time, I won't even touch it until the last 3 days are up. But is there anything else I can do to help hate rates?

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I honestly think you need to tape your hands together not the bator!!

This of course coming from a person with her first hatch date coming up!!

I've decided that I'm going to stay away from the 'bator. I'm not going to be tempted. Whatever happens, happens. And yes, I spent a small fortune on eggs from people but if I continue to go into the room where the 'bator is, I'm going to be poking at it.

Its spring time and I have LOTS to do on the farm! So I'm just going to keep myself busy. Find something to do to keep yourself busy so you won't open it!!

Good luck hun!!

Laurie

7. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    hehe yeah. I really have got to get myself busy. Luckily same with me. I have lots of other animals who can keep me busy. So hopefully I will have a better hatch this time.

Goodluck on your first! And remember not to open it. haha

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Do you have a guage for measuring the humidity? If you're just filling the channels that the directions say to you could very well be having way too high of humidity and drowning them.

9. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Nope I do not. I have been wanting to get one. But my mother keeps insisting that as long as I follow the directions I won't need one. But I agree with you, I really do need one.

Thanks for posting. Now I can show my mother I'm not just crazy. And that I do infact need one. [​IMG]

10. Hello ,
    Since you are using a still air up your temp to 102 degree , dont set eggs til temp is keeping constant temp ,and keep humidity at about 40% - 50% , then set eggs , try only to open bator when you candle about day 10 and day 18 to move to hatcher and keep humidity ay about 60 - 65 % during hatch , don't open til all the chicks are hatched or after day 25 .

Hopefully your next hatch will go better for you !

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by