Last Step in my coop/run...Last question, need help please

BuffsareBad

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
I have almost finished my run. I have my birds in a 10x10x6 dog run. I have placed a 2ft welded wire apron all around the base. I have covered the top with chicken wire. I am worried about a racoon or other animal reaching through the chain link fence and grabbing a bird. I am not sure what to put up to deter this...I want to us someing that is 2 or 3ft high. Is 1/4in poultry netting good enough? Can I use some other plastic/vinyl fencing? Would 1in chicken wire work? I dont want to use hardware cloth unless its a needed for sure. This whole thing is getting $$$$. I will use it if thats all that will work. Thanks in advance for your response.

87031_picture_435.jpg

cute coop
jumpy.gif
we used hardware cloth but when put ours in they could walk right thru the chainlink but it goes for 18 " above ground , with some in the ground hopefully to prevent preds from digging in
barnie.gif
which we have a never ending supply of.It may be a little more $$$ but well worth it.

Coons will rip right through the chicken wire, and the plastic stuff won't last 2 minn. Go with the hardware cloth or put an electric fence about a foot away from the run all the way arround. 1 wire about 6" high, 2nd wire maybe a foot high, if it has a good strong shock it will keep out most 4 legged predators.

I would say you want to do 1/2" hardware cloth that is buried approx. 1' in the ground and goes up at least 3 - 4'. Coons are so smart that they sometimes will go in groups and go to each corner of an area. Chickens on the other hand are so dumb they will many times go right to a corner even though the middle would have kept them safe. I am new to all of this....but I have heard of and read about this scenario happening more then once.

i think you'll be fine like you are...... i live in a coon, possum infested area, have a lake on 1 side and a swamp on the other, oh ya and bald eagle, red tail hawk, osprey air attacks were common also...... anyway back to my point..... i've only had coon - possum attacks at night, so as long as i lock the fortress-coop door at dusk i have no problem... as far as air attacks, some bird netting over the top took care of it......

Back
Top Bottom