latches for run door

fiddlebanshee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
After reading several accounts of people locking themselves in the run, I can totally see that happening to me. So as we are nearing completion of the run and I am about to build the door and hang it, what kind of latch should I get? I want to make it as hard as possible for raccoons to gain access that way.

So I was thinking perhaps one of those sliding ones with eyes that you can slip a numeric padlock through. But I'm not sure if that would be impractical and more of a bother than a help.

Will raccoons figure self latching (the type that are normally on garden gates) latches out? Can they just lift the latch and get in? I am assuming that I could run a chain to the inside of the coop to pull on should this accidentally close on itself.

Any other practical ideas?

Luckily we don't have raccoons over here or any such critters which could open latches - except maybe cats? You see loads of them opening house doors on youtube etc.

Anyway, I would say that it depends whether you would like to be able to securely lock your coop (with a padlock, for example) or just secure it from animals and the chickens themselves from accidentally opening it. I will be using a simple twist bolt (commonly seen in rabbit hutches over here) on my run door, I could probably get away with a cabin hook though over here!

If you are looking to secure from curious neighbours too however, and have a door that will not lock you in, I would suggest possibly using a Yale lock (Night latch) with the key side on the outside, that way if is shuts whilst you are in it you could just flip the switch and you're out!

Don't know if it's the done thing in the world of chooks, but Yale's are cheap enough and if I was making a coop big enough it is something I would consider, IMO.

I use the exact latch your are talking about on my outdoor run and the coop door, works great and peace of mind, on the inside I use a hook and eye to keep the door latched while I'm inside.

58941_door_lock.jpg

so do you secure that with a padlock? I figured a determined raccoon would open that within 30 seconds if it's not otherwise secured. THe hook and eye tip is great. I hadn't thought about that side of things.

Back
Top Bottom