late and or dead hatch - please help

gina4animals

Chirping
14 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Salida, CO
This is my first time incubating and hatching. I read with interest the article about "dry incubating" and quit adding water on day 18 - so as not to "drown them". I had 20 eggs in my LG 9200, on day 22 i got one chick to hatch. Day 23 (yesterday) i got a pip, this morning, no improvement, so we "helped' him by opening up the shell a bit, but alas he was dead.
The other 18 eggs looked great when candling yesterday - large enough air bubble (in all but two that were completely dark)

Now I think I went too far - I dont have a hygrometer (big mistake I realize now). and so today before leaving for work I added some water and a wet sponge and closed the plugs. I feel awful cause I think I killed them all - and because I now have an orphan in my brooder. I wish I could be home to monitor the situation, but have a horrible feeling. Questions for the group is:
How many days beyond 21 have you still had a successful hatch? What do you do about an orphan??These eggs are quite large so I am hoping they take longer. Hens are mostly sex link and one large RIR, One large wynanot.
Would it be possible to bring these guys around at this late stage with the increase in humidity?
I really am depressed and can hardly keep a cheerful face at work where I am the receptionist!

I just had my last one hatch today from my hens eggs. The others (that were set at the same time) started hatching on Monday. But the temps in my hatcher were pretty wacky. I would probably wait another day. You could also, if there are no pips, put the egg to your ear, and tap the side with your fingernail. If the chick is alive, it should tap back. You could even get a surprise, and have it peep at you!

As far as the orphan chick, you could put a chick sized stuffed animal in there with it, as well as a small mirror, to keep it company. You will also need to teach it how to eat. Put food on the floor, and tap it with your fingertip. You will have to do this with the water as well. When I had an orphaned chick, I would also put a kitchen towel in the brooder, to give it something to hide under. Mine would fall right to sleep when I put the towel over her. Good luck!
fl.gif
for more hatches!!

Last edited:
Awww so sorry about your little lost one. I hope upping the humidity helps the rest hatch. Fingers crossed for you!

I am keeping my humidity around 35% up til day 18...then I think I am supposed to up it to around 60% humidity for the last few days. I hope I am doing things right, so I don't lose all mine. I have never done this before either.

Quote:
Dry incubation would mean - add no/very little water day 1-18 and then add more water day 18 to up the hum. Day 1-18 hum should be 30-40 and day 18-21 should be 60-70. Good luck hope they hatch for you !!

Shelley I didnt mean to reply as a private message, feel free to copy and paste my post directed to you, for all to see. I am so new I dont know which button to push!

Ha well, I always forget to save my sent msgs, so I will try to remember what I said. Or you could copy and paste the response I sent you. Here is the question that was asked.

Well I feel a little better. Shelley - if I hear chirping should I just leave them alone or help them open the shell? If my humidity was too low, would they not be able to get out alone because the membrane and the shell is too dry and hard? Is that why my other one died do you think?
THanks for the advice on my orphan. I heard that putting a feather duster helps. I dont have one but I will collect feathers today from my hens and make a little one and put it there for him/her.

Here is the link to how and when to intervene.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316

You can candle the eggs first, and see if any have pipped the internal membrane. If there are any, tap on the outside of these shells, and see if they peep or tap back. If they don't, you can put a small hole in the air sac end of the shell, and see if they are moving.

Dry incubation is where you have lower humidity days 1-18, then raise it up for the 3. The reason this probably works so well, is because the lower humidity makes a bigger air sac, which in turn makes a smaller chick, so it is easier for them to get out.

As far as why your little one died, it's hard to say. There is another post with the reasons why this could happen, but I can't seem to find it right now.

I would probably not make a duster out of my own chickens feathers. If there is anything going on, like mites or sickness, then the baby would get it. The baby chick gets its antibodies from the mama's poo. Like human babies, they have very weak immune systems when they first hatch.

If you do hear peeping, I would just leave them alone. But remember, if you do decide to help them, do not remove the chick completely from the shell!! The umbilical is on the chick's butt, and if you pull it loose, the chick will bleed to death. If you feel you must intervene, zip the shell, just like the chick would do, and do not tear the membrane. If you see any blood, STOP! Put the egg back in the bator, after zipping, and let it do the rest.

Back
Top Bottom