late bloomers?

v.cyr

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Greene, NY
we have 4 pullets going on 30 weeks( give or take), two EEs and two buff brahmas, that have yet to lay an egg
sad.png
... should I be concerned, or just wait till spring?... other than no eggs, they are healthy as far as I can tell... our banty black cochin is about the same age, and she has been popping out about an egg a day for the last month and a half(until this week of course, when she decided she wanted to be broody... she is MEAN now
D.gif
hide.gif
)... we got our hens laying again with black pepper treatment, but it apparently didn't affect the younger girls

thanks... I''ll keep my fingers crossed and wait a while longer... I was just a little concerned because all our other hens started laying right around week 21-22, just like all the old timers I asked for advice back when I started raising chickens said they would... I kinda expected the brahmas to not start laying right away, since they are supposed to be slow growers, but EE's are usually labeled as a "laying breed", so I kinda anticipated them starting sooner than this...

just wait, let them take their time. we just had an ameracuna start laying today and she is about the same age as yours

Last edited:
Our Brahma was the last to start laying, probably around where yours are, maybe a week or two earlier. Our EE started on time, laid a few eggs, and then stopped for a couple weeks, before starting up strong. I don't think you should worry...

Back
Top Bottom