Late blooming boy or fast developing girl?

Well, my father saw it. He said it was sitting on the ground under a bush watching the chicks. Probably would have attacked if he hadn't come and told me to put them up. With the 3 roos and their mom nearby I thought they'd be safe, and I check on them every 15 minutes when they're out. It was a young Cooper's hawk though, looking for an easy meal I'm sure. He was just looking for an opening, but thankfully didn't get it.
Unfortunately I've had more predator incidents than I'd like. I live in an extremely small "town" so all native predators are used to farmers and such. Hawks aren't wary, and coyotes come right up into the yard at night, I can hear them yipping in the street late at night. And my careless next door neighbor "owns" an evil free-range dog that has killed numerous chickens and destroyed a prefab coop (and everything inside 😢) and the wire on my grow-out tractor. Plus 1 bird while they were free ranging and my pheasant. Then another dog came into our yard and took 1 of my hens. So unless my birds have full supervision I really can't let them free range. Even though they never leave their own yard. Predators (and some people) frustrate me.
I’m glad the hawk didn’t get any babies. That sucks about the coyotes and dogs😕. Hearing all the predators you have to deal with I’m lucky the only thing I really have to deal with is hawks raccoons, and once in a blue moon a fox. I’m too paranoid to let them free range unsupervised also.😔

I’m glad the hawk didn’t get any babies. That sucks about the coyotes and dogs😕. Hearing all the predators you have to deal with I’m lucky the only thing I really have to deal with is hawks raccoons, and once in a blue moon a fox. I’m too paranoid to let them free range unsupervised also.😔
Me too. Yeah, we've also seen opossums, raccoons, foxes, mink, a fisher (very rare tho), eagles (bald and golden), and lots of hawks. I guess everything has to eat. But why my birds?!?! :barnie

:gigThis isn't my fan thread.
I guess I DID get those right...And a million other birds...
I still think Azalea is female.
Lol! Time will tell. I'd love it if she is. Though then I have to make the big decision (either this year or next) on whom to keep. I probably shouldn't keep 4 of Bella's pullets when they all look so similar.

Back
Top Bottom