Late hatch quail

coastie

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 27, 2014
So my quail hatched out over the course of a few days. Fri night to Tuesday day. THe initial hatch was Friday night thru Saturday night and was about 45-50. Another 15 or so hatched Sunday through Tues. I have lost all but one of the late hatch ones. Several were my fault as I had the brooder too warm. However I noticed that the late hatch ones didnt seem to be growing much. The only one I have left is over a week old and has zero feathers and is less than half the size of the others born just a couple of days before. Here is a picture of the little guy, taken a couple days ago:

He is in the middle. He hasnt changed from this pic. Is this normal with ones that hatch late?

So my quail hatched out over the course of a few days. Fri night to Tuesday day. THe initial hatch was Friday night thru Saturday night and was about 45-50. Another 15 or so hatched Sunday through Tues. I have lost all but one of the late hatch ones. Several were my fault as I had the brooder too warm. However I noticed that the late hatch ones didnt seem to be growing much. The only one I have left is over a week old and has zero feathers and is less than half the size of the others born just a couple of days before. Here is a picture of the little guy, taken a couple days ago:

He is in the middle. He hasnt changed from this pic. Is this normal with ones that hatch late?
It's normal for chicks that hatch early or late to be less developed on occasion. It's not normal to lose so many but it seems like you found the cause of that. Sometimes these birds will stay runts but often they will grow out normally and catch up after a while.

Its a good idea to add some sort of jump start to the water with those little guys. I use a product called Vita-Sol which is just a vitamin supplement that you can add to their water. I put it in the water from the start so they all get a good boost to start growing.

Back
Top Bottom