late hatchers come hatch along with us setting nov 12 to nov 20

Problem solved. I read on someone's post that you can pop out a row from the automatic turner, so I popped out 2 rows. I'm not sure they are ever going back in..... but it works for now. the humidity will be set too high for the second and third batch but only for a few days. So,,, fingers are crossed and although I am already thankful for what I have, I would be really thankful for a great hatch on Thanksgiving!
big_smile.png

How did your hatch go?

I set 48 eggs yesterday.... I miscalculated and after I got them home i realized the turner only fits 42!!! I have all the extras lined up around the turner, and turning them by hand until next week when there will most likely be some discards.

I have a ton of Black Copper Marans, 6 wheaten marans, 6 black tail buff marans and then 9 Ameraucana/WL cross :).... i'm so excited!!!

really pretty pretty dark eggs :)

Hooooooooorrrayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!! Yesterday was day 6 & I just couldn't contain myself...... so I candled my 10 duck eggs.
7 were collected over the week & 3 were older from the fridge(figured why not give it a try)
The 7 I collected from the nesting barrel are all developing wonderfully nice veins & all!
1 fridge egg had some veining going on, but not as mush as the others & 2 I did not see anything in.
Later this afternoon I will be adding about 20 chicken eggs to the group to see what comes of that as well.

I will candle them again today, when I add the chicken eggs, & try & get some photos

This is addictive!!!!! I'm also getting a muscovy pair this evening (parents of my 3 scovies) She is an incubation machine!
O boy.....

Yay!!! I set 12 Marans eggs in black copper, blue & splash and 8 hatched! (I have never candled so I'm not sure on fertility) One little guy didn't make it but the remaining seven are healthy. Six of them are black with light bellies and one is blue with a light belly and all have light wing tips and nicely feathered legs extending down to the outer toe. Is it safe to assume I didn't get any splash? Anyway, I am thrilled!
celebrate.gif

I have 11 Black Copper Marans eggs going into lockdown on the 25th.

My class started 40 mystery chicken eggs to help a local family grow their flock on Nov. 13th. Today was day 13 and we candled them. They looked great until I dropped one. It broke right by my desk. I was so upset. I think I saw the little guy move, but he didn't last long. I have older students so I made into an teachable moment. We talked about embryo development and life and death and being careful and everything. I am pretty sure that I was much more upset than they were. The family we are hatching them for used it as an opportunity to learn too, so it wasn't a total loss. The good news is that they are developing right on track. Hopefully we won't have any more accidents and we will be able to have a good hatch.

My class started 40 mystery chicken eggs to help a local family grow their flock on Nov. 13th. Today was day 13 and we candled them. They looked great until I dropped one. It broke right by my desk. I was so upset. I think I saw the little guy move, but he didn't last long. I have older students so I made into an teachable moment. We talked about embryo development and life and death and being careful and everything. I am pretty sure that I was much more upset than they were. The family we are hatching them for used it as an opportunity to learn too, so it wasn't a total loss. The good news is that they are developing right on track. Hopefully we won't have any more accidents and we will be able to have a good hatch.

So sorry. We will be hatching about the same time. Mine are day 13 and 14.

Yay!!! I set 12 Marans eggs in black copper, blue & splash and 8 hatched! (I have never candled so I'm not sure on fertility) One little guy didn't make it but the remaining seven are healthy. Six of them are black with light bellies and one is blue with a light belly and all have light wing tips and nicely feathered legs extending down to the outer toe. Is it safe to assume I didn't get any splash? Anyway, I am thrilled!
celebrate.gif

I have 11 Black Copper Marans eggs going into lockdown on the 25th.

Cute fluffy babies! Why did you not candle? Are those the really dark eggs? I know the dark eggs can be hard to see thru. I am a candling addict. It amazes me everytime to see the development.

So here are a few pics - 1st one looks to be a double yolker??? Sad to really know if that's the case then there is only a slim chance for them :( But the other developing ones look good. Taken today @ 7days

aww.... yeah I dropped one today too. I was turning them and it slipped out. Fortunately i'm only 24hrs in so all i saw was a black spot and a lil pink spot.
how sad.. :(.. would have been better to drop an infertile one.

good job on the teachable moment!!

Quote:
Yes, Marans eggs are a dark chocolate color and would be hard to see through. I have only hatched Light & Coronation Sussex with a pinkish tan shell and have Cochins in there now with a white shell, but I haven't purchased a candler. I guess I like surprises and it seems to me the shells are probably made to keep light out by design. I had an ultrasound when I was pregnant with my children, but always wondered if they were harmful. I can see that eventually I will need to look into one as my hatches get larger, to make room in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom