Late hatching chicks

Broody Birds

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2022
My silkie sat on 5 eggs from a mixed flock for 23 days. I candled all of them and most seemed viable except 1. I then cautiously opened the one that I didn’t think was viable to find a dead developed chick with the yolk sac still attached. I then opened another one the next day (day 24) which had no signs of life but was still breathing but had not absorbed its yolk. So I then waited another couple of days at which time I gave my silkie 4 x day old chicks as I really didn’t think the eggs would hatch. Day 26 one egg hatched but was rejected by my silkie and was very cold and week. I then put that chick in my incubator along with the remaining 2 eggs. Another chick hatched later that night on day 26 and the last one hatched day 27. There is no way I have my dates wrong as they were put under my silkie at the same time. Although all 3 are walking they still seem quite weak and not really wanting to eat or drink. I can give them drips of water which they like. First chicks were born on Saturday and third was born yesterday. It is now Monday. Just wanted to know has anyone ever experienced late hatching chicks then the chicks acting quite premature.

Late hatching is almost inevitably from low temperatures, which is unlikely under a hen. Could her nest have been chilled in some way? How many eggs were under her? Were they silkie eggs or larger? Silkies can't cover very many eggs.
For your weak chicks, try to get them some poultry Nutri-Drench. Where are you located?

Late hatching is almost inevitably from low temperatures, which is unlikely under a hen. Could her nest have been chilled in some way? How many eggs were under her? Were they silkie eggs or larger? Silkies can't cover very many eggs.
I selected only 6 small eggs ie I think silkie and polish. She was in a nesting box virtually the whole time together with others coming and going. I marked the first 6 so they weren’t mixed up and removed the others every day.

For your weak chicks, try to get them some poultry Nutri-Drench. Where are you located?
Ps nest box was dry and as warm as possible. We are in New South Wales Australia

It should be warm enough there now to not be a problem. Has that hen hatched chicks before?
Other than cool incubation I have no suggestions other than a possible breeder nutrition issue.

It should be warm enough there now to not be a problem. Has that hen hatched chicks before?
Other than cool incubation I have no suggestions other than a possible breeder nutrition issue.
No, this particular silkie had not hatched before. The 3 in a brooder seem to be doing well now. Thank you for your advice!

My silkie sat on 5 eggs from a mixed flock for 23 days. I candled all of them and most seemed viable except 1. I then cautiously opened the one that I didn’t think was viable to find a dead developed chick with the yolk sac still attached. I then opened another one the next day (day 24) which had no signs of life but was still breathing but had not absorbed its yolk. So I then waited another couple of days at which time I gave my silkie 4 x day old chicks as I really didn’t think the eggs would hatch. Day 26 one egg hatched but was rejected by my silkie and was very cold and week. I then put that chick in my incubator along with the remaining 2 eggs. Another chick hatched later that night on day 26 and the last one hatched day 27. There is no way I have my dates wrong as they were put under my silkie at the same time. Although all 3 are walking they still seem quite weak and not really wanting to eat or drink. I can give them drips of water which they like. First chicks were born on Saturday and third was born yesterday. It is now Monday. Just wanted to know has anyone ever experienced late hatching chicks then the chicks acting quite premature.
I had one of my bantams hatch at day 26, he was wobbly for a day or two but after receiving extra electrolytes and probiotics he was just fine. He's an adult now and loves chasing his sisters. I didn't think he'd hatch and was going to unplug the incubator the following day and I started hearing chirps and pipping and was completely astonished.

I had one of my bantams hatch at day 26, he was wobbly for a day or two but after receiving extra electrolytes and probiotics he was just fine. He's an adult now and loves chasing his sisters. I didn't think he'd hatch and was going to unplug the incubator the following day and I started hearing chirps and pipping and was completely astonished.
So happy to hear your little one is now an adult. One of my 3 suddenly died after a week but the other 2 seem very happy with no problems. So hopefully they will grow happily into adulthood.

Back
Top Bottom