Late hatching

silkiefluff

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
NS, Canada
I'm getting a bit frustrated with my hatching.. I have a Hova Bator and I have done other hatches in the years with it. As long as there isn't any power outages, I get atleast a chick or two. I, unfortunately, have wood heat so my outside-incubator temp fluctuates, but I am home all day to watch it and adjust accordingly. This last hatch it went down a couple times overnight, but when day 19 came all eggs candled perfectly. It is now day 23 and one egg (the one right under the wafer) hatched last night. I have not removed the top and both trays were filled with water prior to lock down.

I don't see any more cracks or hear any peeping, but plan to wait a couple more days just in case. I've tried to troubleshoot why they are getting this far and not hatching, but I can't seem to find my answer.... Any ideas?

I use three thermometers in mine and would recommend to anyone to use at least two thermometers at all times. I lost my first hatch to a faulty thermometer, it won't happen again. I had 17 eggs that time moving at lockdown and ended up with one hatching and surviving at day 24 and one hatched and died day 25. My new thermometer was 6 degrees off. I trusted it because it was new and couldn't be that far off, right? Never again. My second hatch-3 thermometers. 16 chicks at lockdown 13 chicks hatched.

Back
Top Bottom