Late hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiefluff, Dec 2, 2014.

1. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    I'm getting a bit frustrated with my hatching.. I have a Hova Bator and I have done other hatches in the years with it. As long as there isn't any power outages, I get atleast a chick or two. I, unfortunately, have wood heat so my outside-incubator temp fluctuates, but I am home all day to watch it and adjust accordingly. This last hatch it went down a couple times overnight, but when day 19 came all eggs candled perfectly. It is now day 23 and one egg (the one right under the wafer) hatched last night. I have not removed the top and both trays were filled with water prior to lock down.

I don't see any more cracks or hear any peeping, but plan to wait a couple more days just in case. I've tried to troubleshoot why they are getting this far and not hatching, but I can't seem to find my answer.... Any ideas?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you calibrated your thermometer recently? Perhaps it is reading higher that actual temps.

3. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    No, I haven't. I was just using the one that came with it (sitting it on the eggs during incubation).

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use three thermometers in mine and would recommend to anyone to use at least two thermometers at all times. I lost my first hatch to a faulty thermometer, it won't happen again. I had 17 eggs that time moving at lockdown and ended up with one hatching and surviving at day 24 and one hatched and died day 25. My new thermometer was 6 degrees off. I trusted it because it was new and couldn't be that far off, right? Never again. My second hatch-3 thermometers. 16 chicks at lockdown 13 chicks hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by