1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Late hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiefluff, Dec 2, 2014.

1. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chirping

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    I'm getting a bit frustrated with my hatching.. I have a Hova Bator and I have done other hatches in the years with it. As long as there isn't any power outages, I get atleast a chick or two. I, unfortunately, have wood heat so my outside-incubator temp fluctuates, but I am home all day to watch it and adjust accordingly. This last hatch it went down a couple times overnight, but when day 19 came all eggs candled perfectly. It is now day 23 and one egg (the one right under the wafer) hatched last night. I have not removed the top and both trays were filled with water prior to lock down.

I don't see any more cracks or hear any peeping, but plan to wait a couple more days just in case. I've tried to troubleshoot why they are getting this far and not hatching, but I can't seem to find my answer.... Any ideas?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you calibrated your thermometer recently? Perhaps it is reading higher that actual temps.

3. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chirping

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    No, I haven't. I was just using the one that came with it (sitting it on the eggs during incubation).

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use three thermometers in mine and would recommend to anyone to use at least two thermometers at all times. I lost my first hatch to a faulty thermometer, it won't happen again. I had 17 eggs that time moving at lockdown and ended up with one hatching and surviving at day 24 and one hatched and died day 25. My new thermometer was 6 degrees off. I trusted it because it was new and couldn't be that far off, right? Never again. My second hatch-3 thermometers. 16 chicks at lockdown 13 chicks hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: