Late January Hatch?

We have our first pip!!!!
1f600.png
wonder what it will look like in the morning. Hopefully we have a zip or a chick!
1f423.png

Yay!!! Day 18 was when I had all 4 pip, day 19 I had two hatch and then day 20 the other two. They are the cutest! I'm going to get these to 5 weeks before I try hatching more. Lots going on, plus my coop is 6x12 so I don't want to over do it
1f61c.png
1f413.png

I am probably one of the unluckiest people around. 8 out of 12 CL eggs has hatched today, and they're all boys. I'm not hatching to breed, I just wanted to add a couple more girls to my laying flock! There are 4 more to go, but 1 has pipped at the wrong end (probably the only girl!). I was hoping after my 1st hatch last month, a prime example of why not to buy shipped eggs, that I might have better luck with this one! I'm still praying for at least 1 little girl I'll get to keep.

I'm not even sure if any of mine are male or female. Just my luck and I will also end up with all roos. I just had one hatch that's almost all black with a white dot right in the middle of its head. Very cute.

He's really big, got his head stuck while zipping. Left him alone for a while but he didn't progress from morning to evening so I stepped in and removed part of the shell. Sucker kicked free in no time once his head was free. Membrane was clean, no blood. He was more than ready. Huge feet!

Last edited:
Yay!!! Day 18 was when I had all 4 pip, day 19 I had two hatch and then day 20 the other two. They are the cutest! I'm going to get these to 5 weeks before I try hatching more. Lots going on, plus my coop is 6x12 so I don't want to over do it
1f61c.png
1f413.png
That little silkie egg pipped last night, but has not progressed anymore since then. I have had an olive egger pip, zip and hatch this morning, and another OE that is in the process of zipping and should be delivered in the next 30 minutes or so. Should I be concerned that the original silkie egg hasn't done anything and these other 2 are already hatching. I have had other silkies pip too, but none hatch yet.

Our 2nd chick hatched!!! This is the inside of the shell. Is that normal or should I be concerned?

Day 22/23 and only two pips from yesterday still working... thought one died for a bit as it went quiet and it was hard to see movement. Looks like I'm in for a pretty dismal hatch rate. One of the three that hatched on time has a curled foot and is a rooster. So far I'm on pace for 2 pullets out of 27 eggs...

I've ordered a thermocontroller to retrofit the hovabator for use on the next batch, hopefully more stable temps make for a more successful attempt #2.

Back
Top Bottom