Late layers?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I've got 3 young hens about 8 months old now. The buff orpington is a week younger than the other two and has been laying for about a month now. The other two are a buff rock and a dark brahma that have yet to lay. I know they aren't hiding eggs since they aren't as vocal and haven't squatted yet. I suppose it could be the cold weather and short days but that didn't stop the orpington. Here are pics of their faces.

Zoë here has had a red face for a while now. I think that I read that rocks are better layers but Kennedy (orpington) may have her beat there. She may lay bigger eggs though.

I didn't really expect McKenzie here to start laying when she was 6 months old since brahmas are slow to mature. I think she still has a ways to go.

It isn't unusual for a Brahma to lay until 8 months, and I always tack a month on to expected starting dates this time of year, the bigger the breed the longer it takes to mature, your rock should have started by now, but every hen is different, as well as every breed.

It's so hard to wait! I was sure I had duds for layers when all of mine didn't start laying until about 9 months. They are all various breeds (Even some supposed to be early layers). All of the sudden they started laying at the same time. Now I get 6-8 eggs during the coldest time of year, and without any heat or light! I have no idea why they all waited until that age, which was almost 4 months past when I expected. Hopefully, yours start to lay soon!

It isn't unusual for a Brahma to lay until 8 months, and I always tack a month on to expected starting dates this time of year, the bigger the breed the longer it takes to mature, your rock should have started by now, but every hen is different, as well as every breed.
My brahma started to squat a bit a day or two ago. My rock seems to want to squat a bit but she'll be last to lay.

I've had my 2 slw hens for 6wks now I was told were from tsc in April '15, so are 9 months. My 2 buff orp hens were supposed to be 1 1/2. 1 orp doesn't squat,all other 3 do. I haven't gotten an egg yet. My slw were molting when I got them. They've been feathered now for over 2 wks. Seems like there are a lot of late layers,but we also have not had very normal weather patterns. 60 degrees at the end of december,and weeks later,blizzards and single digits! I figure I won't get eggs til spring.

My brahma started to squat a bit a day or two ago. My rock seems to want to squat a bit but she'll be last to lay.
she does look close to egg laying by her red comb and wattles, so I would expect her to lay soon. Many will get really talkative and loud a day or so before.

Well yesterday I found a "first time" brown egg in the box and I assumed it was our brahma. Today confirms it!

Back
Top Bottom