Late molt!

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Ok my speckled Sussex has decided to molt. Problem is it’s less than 30 decrees F outside and there’s snow on the ground! I’m afraid she will get too cold! Is there anything I can do to help her? She’s a very skittish chicken so the least stress the better.

oldhenlikesdogs

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
30 degrees isn't all that cold for a chicken. I have some still molting too. Your chicken will be okay. All you can do is make sure you are providing enough protein so she can grow in new feathers. I recommend a 18-22% ration.

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Sometimes with the best of intentions people interfere. Leave her be, she will handle it just fine, and generally cooler temperatures encourages regrowth faster.

Mrs K
They do appear to be growing in fairly quick. I’d rather not mess with her. Like I said she’s very skittish and doesn’t really like me much lol.

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
30 degrees isn't all that cold for a chicken. I have some still molting too. Your chicken will be okay. All you can do is make sure you are providing enough protein so she can grow in new feathers. I recommend a 18-22% ration.
[/QUOTE

Honestly I use a 20% all flock because I have muscovys and geese. And they all free range during the day. They really don’t eat much actual feed.

Top Bottom