Late Summer Hatching ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by merrymutts, Jul 15, 2016.

1. merrymutts

merrymutts Out Of The Brooder

Hi folks...first time on this forum. I have a variety of chicken breeds,,,all brown egg layers...plus an ornery roo who is still in "chicken jail" for picking on some of my older hens.

Any hoo...dear hubs bought me a Brinsea Incubator for my early Birthday gift and I am hankering to use it. We live in Missouri where most often the warmer months extend into October but here, ya never know.

I am wondering if any eggs I set in the incubator within the next week or so would be feathered enough to get through winter OK >?

Birds have a solid coop which is a redesigned wooden shed with attached runs coming out both sides. .

It has electrical outlets for fans in the summer and for a heat lamp in the winter months if needed.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I've hatched every month of the year with no problem. (Also using a Brinsea, welcome to the club!) Late season hatching just means keeping chicks under heat for 6-8 weeks rather than 4-5.

Once a bird is 8-10 weeks they are just as well feathered and cold resistant as any adult.

3. merrymutts

Thanks...now to decide which eggs I'd like to buy

4. 22lilchickens

22lilchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    I've hatched eggs when it's snowing, just depends on if you brood outside or inside. I keep mine inside till they start getting feathers then I put them in the chick pen outside but if it's still too cold I have a heat lamp in the coop part for them.

5. merrymutts

Incubator is inside, of course...and large plastic storage bins which can double as a brooder box. Have screens to cover and heat lights. in the chicken coop proper, I havbe one area set up for baby birds with a "corral" and a heat lamp.

I just got my hatching eggs this morning and will put them in incubator tomorrow.

6. 22lilchickens

22lilchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Good luck on your hatch! I set some silkie eggs last week and the wait is the worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by