late to hatch (maybe) chick...what?

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
I had 17 eggs in to hatch and 5 Olive Eggers hatched on Tuesday, 6 BCM babies popped out on Wednesday. I went to clean out the incubator and had 2 clear OE eggs, 1 DIS BCM chick, 2 clear BCM eggs, and 1 BCM egg peeping at me????? This is 4 days after they were "due", 3 days after the OE babes hatched, and 2 days after the BCM siblings hatched. I made a hole in the top for O2 and made sure to increase the humidity again...it's hanging in there (the hole got bigger by mistake, so I can see where it internally pipped, and the membrane over top of it.)

I'll leave it to see what it does...but what would cause a chick to hatch or still be alive and not hatch that much later? I use a forced air Genesis hovabator 1588.

Lisa

fl.gif

I had 17 eggs in to hatch and 5 Olive Eggers hatched on Tuesday, 6 BCM babies popped out on Wednesday. I went to clean out the incubator and had 2 clear OE eggs, 1 DIS BCM chick, 2 clear BCM eggs, and 1 BCM egg peeping at me????? This is 4 days after they were "due", 3 days after the OE babes hatched, and 2 days after the BCM siblings hatched. I made a hole in the top for O2 and made sure to increase the humidity again...it's hanging in there (the hole got bigger by mistake, so I can see where it internally pipped, and the membrane over top of it.)

I'll leave it to see what it does...but what would cause a chick to hatch or still be alive and not hatch that much later? I use a forced air Genesis hovabator 1588.

Lisa
late hatches are contributed to the temp being too low and hatched chick are usually week all their life

thisis also DIS and others as when the temp is low weaker eggs will just die and stronger eggs will carry on and be week and late

I would get your hovabater checked and collaborated or at least the thermometer checked or replaced

Last edited:
but everyone else was hatching fine- the day lates were Marans in very dark eggs (this one is too) and the temp was fine for the Sebbie eggs who were started before the chickens and hatched out fine a few days ago...
This is the only chick who hung on soooo late and there was only 1 dead in shell (who died for sure from shrink wrap) I took the Olive Eggers out yesterday, (who hatched the day before the Marans) when they were 2 days old, and then the Marans today, also 2 days old. That's 2 big bator openings with lid off and all, so I'm not surprised there was a DIS. What shocks me more is the Live in Shell one....
still Alive and breathing...peeping, moving a bit in there...

Last edited:
I ended up helping it hatch. Not again! Leave Mother Nature alone...It had deformed legs and curled up feet, couldn't walk at all, flipped on it's back and stayed there...I sadly dispatched it this am and buried it in our little chick cemetery (DIS chicks, etc.)
I won't do that again...I will make sure my thermometers are calibrated too, but with all the rest and the goslings hatching on time and doing fine, I don't think it was that this time. Poor baby...

I ended up helping it hatch. Not again! Leave Mother Nature alone...It had deformed legs and curled up feet, couldn't walk at all, flipped on it's back and stayed there...I sadly dispatched it this am and buried it in our little chick cemetery (DIS chicks, etc.)
I won't do that again...I will make sure my thermometers are calibrated too, but with all the rest and the goslings hatching on time and doing fine, I don't think it was that this time. Poor baby...

the only other possiblility then is the egg was old

more that 10 days from lay

I had 24 eggs in bator they hatched on the dot day 21 except one lone egg

it was still going and alive on day 22 (today) and still veins

then its cracked the egg 12 hours ago

then about 2 hour ago it started zipping but got stuck I left it and no progress

then I decided to help it and yes deformed

lay on its back crooked neck still in foetal position and swollen and cant stand

its gonna need saying goodbye

that egg I suspect was an older egg as I was collecting eggs some eggs ended up getting to 7 days of storage that was one of them I suspect

the only other possiblility then is the egg was old

more that 10 days from lay

I had 24 eggs in bator they hatched on the dot day 21 except one lone egg

it was still going and alive on day 22 (today) and still veins

then its cracked the egg 12 hours ago

then about 2 hour ago it started zipping but got stuck I left it and no progress

then I decided to help it and yes deformed

lay on its back crooked neck still in foetal position and swollen and cant stand

its gonna need saying goodbye

that egg I suspect was an older egg as I was collecting eggs some eggs ended up getting to 7 days of storage that was one of them I suspect

That makes sense... I was saving eggs for a sale and that fell through, so I did set them as a test hatch. I forgot all about that. So the 2 clears and 1 DIS and 1 live peeper , late, non-hatcher who I helped were probably the first eggs I collected and ended up being too old to be healthy. I had to say goodbye to mine too. Not fun at all.
Thanks for jogging my memory!
Lisa

That makes sense... I was saving eggs for a sale and that fell through, so I did set them as a test hatch. I forgot all about that. So the 2 clears and 1 DIS and 1 live peeper , late, non-hatcher who I helped were probably the first eggs I collected and ended up being too old to be healthy. I had to say goodbye to mine too. Not fun at all.
Thanks for jogging my memory!
Lisa
more than happy to help with advice

if my advice and help could help you for your next batch then that was advice well given

:)

Back
Top Bottom