Latest coop pics!

Okay, Cynthia, more questions.
yippiechickie.gif

I've got it now on the windows, thanks to your great explanations and pics, but now I'm looking at your run. It looks SUPER easy to put together (and these days, after coop building, I'm all about easy). Are those just garden fence posts sunk into the ground? Did you use concrete? (I don't want to sink posts into concrete, so would love an alternative) And do you have any problems with land-based predators in your run during the day? (weasels, raccoons, etc.) I ask because the gauge of the wire looks big. It's also nice and tall, judging by the view of the person next to the coop. Is that horse fencing?

Also, how do you get into your run? Is there a door somewhere?

I am so thankful that you have all these pictures to share; they're so helpful!

Amy

Amy, the fence attached to U-posts hammered into the ground is welded wire with an extra wrap of hardware wire to make it taller all the way around. Because the ground sloped and the fencing was not flexible, it was higher at the coop and lower at the top end. It is wrapped partly with chickenwire and partly with hardware wire about two feet up the fence. No concrete on the posts. Here's another picture showing the gate:
DCP_2863.jpg

We do have lots of raccoons and every predator you can imagine, but they are usually night time menaces. Wire that wraps the bottom part of the fence is turned outward and staked into the ground-couldnt bury it due to massive tree roots all over the place.
Now there is an attached Separation Pen that comes in handy, only for daytime use.
DCP_4644.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds really easy to make/set up; some of the ideas I've read about make me cringe when I think of the amount of work they would require! Silly question: what are U-posts?

I love the idea of turning the wire inward and staking it; there was no way I was going to be burying anything like that!

Your property looks gorgeous!

Amy

U-posts are just green steel fence posts you get at Lowe's or Home Depot in the garden section. There is a T-post for livestock fencing, but the U-posts have these hooks you pry up and put the wire on. Be sure you get those and not T-posts. They look similar at first glance. And the wire is turned outward so something digging at the base of the fence just gets its claws stuck in wire.
Thanks, we like it in the mountains. Every time we build a new bldg, I say there goes another root we're putting down. Oh, I'm going to bed, so if you post anything and I dont answer right away, I'm just signed off for the night. Glad I could help.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll be sure to look for those when it's time to put up the run. And *thank you* for all your help tonight! I'm off to bed too...

Back
Top Bottom