Latest duckling brooder idea

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
After realizing the ducklings were outgrowing the Rubbermaid feed bin they have lived in for the past 2.5 weeks we had to come up with a new plan that would still contain the mess and not encourage mice etc

1. Old large cardboard box on garage floor to provide insulation, cushion and last ditch effort to contain liquid mess if there’s a catastrophic mess 🤣
2. Thick plastic (like for construction etc) on top of cardboard
3. Dog exercise pen in a square on top of plastic (already had this on hand)
4. Small tarp zip tied to inside of x-pen (like putting a pie crust into a pie pan). This is to contain food they fling everywhere as well as projectile poops. It also hopefully will discourage mice because spilled food will be contained.
5. Puppy pee pads. (Never used them with ducklings before but got tired of soaked shavings in their Rubbermaid tub brooder.)
6. Water on top of aluminum pan and cooling rack. Will add another water that’s deeper for them
7. Also want to move their food back on top of an aluminum pan and cooling rack as well.

Will let you know how this works!

Attachments

• A0FE7D42-203B-4E9F-AC0E-1598630C5D32.jpeg
    A0FE7D42-203B-4E9F-AC0E-1598630C5D32.jpeg
    601.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 5B4C85F3-D3BF-4594-85E3-B8ED76167151.jpeg
    5B4C85F3-D3BF-4594-85E3-B8ED76167151.jpeg
    567.5 KB · Views: 12
After realizing the ducklings were outgrowing the Rubbermaid feed bin they have lived in for the past 2.5 weeks we had to come up with a new plan that would still contain the mess and not encourage mice etc

1. Old large cardboard box on garage floor to provide insulation, cushion and last ditch effort to contain liquid mess if there’s a catastrophic mess 🤣
2. Thick plastic (like for construction etc) on top of cardboard
3. Dog exercise pen in a square on top of plastic (already had this on hand)
4. Small tarp zip tied to inside of x-pen (like putting a pie crust into a pie pan). This is to contain food they fling everywhere as well as projectile poops. It also hopefully will discourage mice because spilled food will be contained.
5. Puppy pee pads. (Never used them with ducklings before but got tired of soaked shavings in their Rubbermaid tub brooder.)
6. Water on top of aluminum pan and cooling rack. Will add another water that’s deeper for them
7. Also want to move their food back on top of an aluminum pan and cooling rack as well.

Will let you know how this works!
That's a very good and reasonable idea. I use to use towels as a floor for ducklings but now I put the towels underneath Puppy Pads! Too easy!!!

Nice intricate setup. Its obvious someone cares for their ducklings :)

That's a very good and reasonable idea. I use to use towels as a floor for ducklings but now I put the towels underneath Puppy Pads! Too easy!!!

Nice intricate setup. Its obvious someone cares for their ducklings :)
Thanks. Wish I had thought of it last spring but better late than never haha. Keeps the smell and mess down which keeps the spouse happy too

Back
Top Bottom