Lathargic Guinea

naturespace

Songster
8 Years
Dec 8, 2011
Shenandoah Valley, VA
We just brought 6 Guineas home on Friday. They are 4-7 months old. We do not have any other birds on the property yet. They have a coop, feeder, water and run that is brand new. (so no old viruses)

Once they settled in, I noticed one that was very lathargic. She stands with her head tucked under her wing in the sun. When she does move around she is slow and has her head tucked into her body. (I think it looks vulture- like.) I saw her drink some water and she ate some millet and mealworms, but not with the same exuberance as the others. She has no interest in the feed which is 19% protien grower chicken feed. She is not being picked on by the others. They just ignore her.

- Should I isolate her or will it be more stressful to be away from her flock?
- It's going to be much colder the next few days, (20 F during the day) Today it is 55F. I have space in the basement that I could put a brooder light on her to keep her warm in a dog crate.
- We replaced their water with some pedialyte (electrolytes).

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
I am not sure. But that is definetly not typical guinea behaviour. It probably would not hurt to bring her in. Have you been able to check her to see if maybe there is an injury or something.

Back
Top Bottom