Lathargic Lavender Orpington

greglyn2

Hatching
Mar 3, 2023
I have a year old Lavender Orpington hen. She comes out of the coop and just sits by the door. She will go back in to roost. This morning she stayed in the coop just sitting there. Her vent seems ok with dried poop on her feathers. I'm not sure if she is eating, drinking, or laying at this point. This is day 2. I'm going to check for mites/lice tonight. I am new to this and any informative help would be appreciated. :(

Has she been laying recently? Can you clean up her vent area, and make sure there is no prolapsed vent? Is her tail position up or down? Usually I can coax a hen to eat scrambled egg bits, wet chicken feed, or tuna. I would give her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet into her beak, to see if she lays an egg.

Has she been laying recently? Can you clean up her vent area, and make sure there is no prolapsed vent? Is her tail position up or down? Usually I can coax a hen to eat scrambled egg bits, wet chicken feed, or tuna. I would give her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet into her beak, to see if she lays an egg.
Thank you for replying. I have a bunch of chickens and was wondering how to know if she lays. I plan to clean her vent area today. I didn't see prolapsed vent last night. Tell me please about tail position. I'll try the Calcium and Vitamin D. Thanks!

Well look at her from the side. A hen who is not I’ll will usually have her tail in the air, while a hen who has reproductive disorder may strand with her tail down. You can watch to see if she is gong into the nest boxes to lay, or separate her in a pen or dog crate with food/ water on some bedding. She should lay in there if she needs to.

Well look at her from the side. A hen who is not I’ll will usually have her tail in the air, while a hen who has reproductive disorder may strand with her tail down. You can watch to see if she is gong into the nest boxes to lay, or separate her in a pen or dog crate with food/ water on some bedding. She should lay in there if she needs to.
I went out last night, after being very lethargic all day and not moving, I looked for mites and didn't see any sign of them, but possibly lice for sure, also a vent gleet issue. I gave her a good wood ashing and this morning she is up walking, moving her head and much better, but not totally there yet.

How do you get a chicken to swallow a tablet- into her beak?? Would I break it up first?

Back
Top Bottom