Laundry Room/Smell

Leal Ladies

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2020
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am a new mama to 6 Black Austrlorps and I know nothing about chickens.lol

My first question is the smell of laundry detergent harmful or toxic to them. I am currently keeping them in my garage/laundry room.

Also, when can I start giving them treats. They are about 2-3 weeks old

Cristal

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am a new mama to 6 Black Austrlorps and I know nothing about chickens.lol

My first question is the smell of laundry detergent harmful or toxic to them. I am currently keeping them in my garage/laundry room.

Also, when can I start giving them treats. They are about 2-3 weeks old

Cristal
Welcome To BYC!

Congrats on the babies!
If the odor of laundry detergent is overwhelming to you, then you may want to provide a little ventilation. Open a window?
Photos of your brooder and chicks are always welcome!

As for treats, you are going to get a number of answers. Personally, I begin giving a "treat" of scrambled or boiled egg yolk within a couple of days of hatch. Chicks do have grit first thing anyway.
What type of treats do you have in mind? For tiny chicks I usually limit "treat" to egg. Mine also thing that wet feed is special too - you can always provide that with no worries.
Chick(en)s don't need a lot of treats so I would also limit to once a day - they will beg for more, I promise LOL

Is your coop/run ready? I have had chicks in my laundry room as well...I tell you, after a few days, I do my best to get them outside. Chick fuzz is sticky and oily.

Just my 2¢

Welcome To BYC!

Congrats on the babies!
If the odor of laundry detergent is overwhelming to you, then you may want to provide a little ventilation. Open a window?
Photos of your brooder and chicks are always welcome!

As for treats, you are going to get a number of answers. Personally, I begin giving a "treat" of scrambled or boiled egg yolk within a couple of days of hatch. Chicks do have grit first thing anyway.
What type of treats do you have in mind? For tiny chicks I usually limit "treat" to egg. Mine also thing that wet feed is special too - you can always provide that with no worries.
Chick(en)s don't need a lot of treats so I would also limit to once a day - they will beg for more, I promise LOL

Is your coop/run ready? I have had chicks in my laundry room as well...I tell you, after a few days, I do my best to get them outside. Chick fuzz is sticky and oily.

Just my 2¢
Thank you for all the advice. I am interested to see their reaction to a boiled egg. I can already see their different personalities. I am loving it so far.

I will have to get a picture up so you can see their brooder.

Back
Top Bottom