Lavander Orpington - distress

Xanxan

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
Yale, MI
Hey all looking for guidance. About 2 weeks ago we noticed out girl was acting a little lethargic. She wouldn't leave the run at all. Her comb and wattle became very pale.

We checked for parasites. None. We started giving her yogurt, mashed hard boiled egg, spinach and kale mixture. Also added durvet; Vitamins & Electrolytes to her water.

Last night we brought her in the house and used warm water to clean her up a bit. We noticed lots of pin feathers coming in. So we thought it must be late molting. This morning she was having trouble walking.

She is eating and drinking fine. She also has healthy poops.

Don't know what to try next. :(

Please advise!

How old is she, and when did she last lay eggs? Reproductive problems could be a problem, but so could a heart problem. Give her 2-3 ml daily of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell. I would separate her from others in a dog crate with food and water, but keep her in the coop with the flock. She may have been feather picked if she is not due to molt at this time. Molting occurs first time about 16-18 months of age, then every 12 months from then on most of the time. Hens may have a pale comb when not laying eggs. Let us know what happens.

Thank you. We will pick those up. She is just under a year old. She hasn't laid for a while. Most of our girls are just starting up again from winter

We have kept her in our outdoor brooder in the coop. It's 4' x 2' about 2.5' tall. So she has been separated for about 4 days.

Thank you we will keep an eye on her.

How old is she, and when did she last lay eggs? Reproductive problems could be a problem, but so could a heart problem. Give her 2-3 ml daily of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell. I would separate her from others in a dog crate with food and water, but keep her in the coop with the flock. She may have been feather picked if she is not due to molt at this time. Molting occurs first time about 16-18 months of age, then every 12 months from then on most of the time. Hens may have a pale comb when not laying eggs. Let us know what happens.

Hey our gurl still isn't doing great. She is still very under weight. We tried both poultry cell and nutridrench. We took her to the vet and she got a shot for worms just in case and an iron shot and a steroid. That was 2 weeks ago. Her comb is still pale still hanging by coop and run able to free range.

Any suggestions? We were thinking of giving her meat bird or game bird feed go fatten her up

Is she still molting, or do you think that was what the feather loss was from? Gamebird starter is 24% at TSC, so that would be good to get more protein into her. I notice that when my hens are molting, they eat very little. But they will gobble scrambled eggs when I toss them out. Mine also love when I add water to small bowls of their chicken feed to make it runny.

Back
Top Bottom