Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
pop.gif

I was going to ask on the Ams thread but since you are here...... do your lav wheatens have the same feather issues just Lavs have? I was thinking maybe adding the wheaten and since there would only be a few Lavender feathers might not make the brittle feathers as much of a problem.

frow.gif
Welcome!

The feather quality issue is definitely associated with the lavender gene. As you know I have been working on the Lavender Wheatens for some time now and the LW boys tails have the same frailness as the pure lavenders. My LW girls are NICE! So it is something we have to breed out. I would stay with blacks when breeding pure lavenders...the wheaten gene is a whole other ball game.

The feather quality issue is definitely associated with the lavender gene. As you know I have been working on the Lavender Wheatens for some time now and the LW boys tails have the same frailness as the pure lavenders. My LW girls are NICE! So it is something we have to breed out. I would stay with blacks when breeding pure lavenders...the wheaten gene is a whole other ball game.
I have thought about it, but after seeing how long it has taken you to get this far, that is not in my cards anytime soon. I am thinking of ordering some Blacks and Lavs from a breeder. It may have to wait till spring when my chickens can afford more chickens.
gig.gif

Hi All
I have followed DM Rippy from the Marans site....
Here is my hatchling:

Hatched June 7th
I am thinking a male....
Thank you Donna for starting this thread!!
If Mr. Fluffy Pants ends up being a Mr. it is very good to know that I can breed him with the Black Ameraucana Hen I have!
Does anyone want to confirm a male?

He\she is a calm bird. Fluffy feathers... I understand that that is not a desirable trait... but he is so cute.
Thanks All
Patricia

Hi All
I have followed DM Rippy from the Marans site....
Here is my hatchling:

Hatched June 7th
I am thinking a male....
Thank you Donna for starting this thread!!
If Mr. Fluffy Pants ends up being a Mr. it is very good to know that I can breed him with the Black Ameraucana Hen I have!
Does anyone want to confirm a male?

He\she is a calm bird. Fluffy feathers... I understand that that is not a desirable trait... but he is so cute.
Thanks All
Patricia
Fluffy feathers are ok, it is the poor feathers that are a problem. I do still think that is a roo.... his comb is looking a little odd.... He had to have come from my Shaffer birds, maybe someone is hiding a straight comb.....
hmm.png
I still can't believe you got a lavender, what luck.... I couldn't buy one when I hatched them. That has changed now
cool.png

I love this thread. I need to get pics of my guy up here. I am looking for a pullet/hen for him if any one has a nice one they will let go of. He is Shaffer/Blehm.

I love this thread. I need to get pics of my guy up here. I am looking for a pullet/hen for him if any one has a nice one they will let go of. He is Shaffer/Blehm.
LET go of a NICE PULLETS
gig.gif
they are too hard to come by.... at least at my place. Maybe in the spring.

Yeah I have noticed.
gig.gif
I had several growing out but something got all but one roo. He is being kept company by an EE hen that is wheaten colored.

Donna
I have put out feelers for a Lav. hen (before I read this thread and found out I could use my black hen) They are VERY expensive and fairly rare.....
I still might get one ... we will see how the month works out!
I am going to a BuySellTrade at the end of the month and I don't have much to trade or sell, but I am sure that there will be people selling..... we will see.

My step daughter is really thrilled with him and as she has made herself in charge of the blue egg layers .. specifically the Ameraucaunas....
She will love that Mr. Fluffy Pants can become part of her breeding program...
Whoo Hoo... Lavs. for next year's Show!!

Thank you Donna for the Lav. eggs.
Patricia

Back
Top Bottom