Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Quote: I have some of yours
tongue2.gif
Waiting for them to grow up..... I have a pretty WHITE LAVENDER pullet that is laying
lau.gif
Don't ask, cuz I just don't know
gig.gif
I found her in the nest box with a HOT egg under her... marked that puppy, can't wait to see what I get.

Does anyone have a pic of a lav from Paul Smith? I didn't know he had lav until I put in my order for blacks. He mentioned he carried lavender and wheaten also. I went ahead and got both. Just don't think I've seen his lavenders before.

Do you always use your Lavs to make splits? Do you ever breed them Lav to Lav? Maybe that would be a good thing, and just hope for lavs when you breed the splits??????
The eggs I sold this spring were Lav x Lav. Harry mentioned that he wasn't able to fill orders, so I made some available.

I bred the split x splits this spring for myself. 1 in 4 hatch Lav. I hatched 122 chicks to get 27 Lavs. The Blacks that hatched were sold locally as layers.

I sold all my adult lavs and just kept these juveniles to move forward. While improved, they aren't where I want them, so another split to Black is the plan for next spring 2013. Then split x split 2014.

The eggs I sold this spring were Lav x Lav. Harry mentioned that he wasn't able to fill orders, so I made some available.

I bred the split x splits this spring for myself. 1 in 4 hatch Lav. I hatched 122 chicks to get 27 Lavs. The Blacks that hatched were sold locally as layers.

I sold all my adult lavs and just kept these juveniles to move forward. While improved, they aren't where I want them, so another split to Black is the plan for next spring 2013. Then split x split 2014.
Part of the problem I have is people want to buy pure lavender hatching eggs, when I include the splits, they don't sell as well. Same issue when I'm hatching to sell chicks locally. I prefer to breed split when I'm hatching for myself, but people buying for eye candy and not breeding don't want the black or black split birds

Part of the problem I have is people want to buy pure lavender hatching eggs, when I include the splits, they don't sell as well. Same issue when I'm hatching to sell chicks locally. I prefer to breed split when I'm hatching for myself, but people buying for eye candy and not breeding don't want the black or black split birds
No point worrying about it. If people just want Lavs to run their yard, great. There are not many out there who show at the APA/ABA level or are serious AND knowledgable to improve the variety. Also, I really don't want those splits getting into the "Black" population which they are. The other issue is not just using Blacks, but using top notch Blacks. Lastly, is line breeding. I don't think improvements will be made as quickly if multiple lines of Blacks are used. I made my first splits with Smith hens and got a second batch of Blacks from him this year to make a second split while linebreeding.

Hello all. It's been a long hot summer again in Texas, although not as dry as last year's epic drought. I have been away from all threads for months and it will take me a while to catch up, if I even can.

Clare, that lav pullet with the peeper is NICE (as you know). I hope you take her to the National as she looks very nice.

I have had three persistently broody hens ALL summer and have not raised much beyond what I was able to hatch out in the spring due to lack of eggs.

I have one lav pullet that I still love, you guys will get to know her as #40. She is third generation for me. I'll try to bathe and clean her up and get some pictures at some point.

I have been downsizing around here lately and have been able to provide a couple of families with pairs and trios to give them their start with this variety and look forward to seeing where they take them. I am currently down to seven lavender females and plan to reduce that number to probably three or four and go from there.

I am growing out a black Smith cockerel who will hopefully be nice and I would like to make some more splits using #40 if he turns out.

I have many emails to answer and much catching up to do. Thanks everyone on this thread for your dedication to this variety. I know it is daunting at times.

Take care.

Back
Top Bottom