Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Thanks again DMRippy. I do appreciate your thoughts. The pullets really do have a very pale blue coloration. I suspected splash at first, but there are no "splash" pattern markers anywhere on the birds. There is a bit of darker grey along the quill in some of the tail feathers. I'm still planning to test breed since that is truly the only way to know for certain.

I agree that using blues could muddy the water, however, since my lavender came out of a line of black splits, I know he does not carry any blue. Breeding blue to black (base with double lav dilution) should give me 50% blue and 50% black, all split to lav. It is a simple matter to eliminate all of the F1 blue wheatens and work forward breeding the wheatens back to the pure (double dose) lav hens/roo. Using a splash would be more problematic, but I'll know that's what I've got if all I get is blue. Then it's back to square one. Same thing if these girls don't throw any wheatens.
You will not get any wheatens the first cross... wheaten is recessive like lav. You have at LEAST 2 gens before you would see the Lav and the wheaten.... All your first birds will be either blue or black. When you breed those to the Lav or Wheaten, then you will see the lav and wheaten color and pattern.

Thanks for the reminder... E is at the top of the chain, eWh at the bottom - forgot. Time to drag out the genetics book for a re-read.

Definitely going to need more of the Wheaten hens, and maybe a roo too. Hope I can find someone willing to ship
fl.gif
here.

Get in touch with Chicken Stalker. You might find more about the lav wheatens on the ABC forum. Being a double-dose of recessive genes, it took about 4 generations to get something that looked right, I think.

As for those wheatens, are you sure you don't have a pair of splash wheatens there? The one in the back would be the roo.

Last edited:
You rang
big_smile.png
. Yes, I am still working on lavender wheatens (Isabelle) and officially have a breeding trio. Most of my notes are here I'm not sure what happened to my pictures on the page, I'll try to fix them. I posted these a while back on the AM thread. Good luck and make sure you get quality stock and stay away from blue at all costs. It is extremely hard to distinguish lav and blue.

Just a little project Lavender Wheaten Ameraucana eye candy. After three and half years of work I finally have a breeding trio of LW's though it will be a while until I get some eggs still.

And my roo who is currently molting so here is an old picture.

I got some great pure black Amaraucana pullets for Mr. Fluffles FluffyPants. (my current avatar)
It will be great fun working with him and his girls to get myself a line of Lav. Amarancaunas.

I will post pictures of these beautiful girls soon.
Patricia

I am LOVING these hatches now.... more lavs than splits
ya.gif
4 lavs and 2 splits this time.

Amy, I did a test of the white lavender pullet I hatched in the spring, her chick/chicks were all lav not white. So not sure how she ended up white. BTW I sold her for a layer. Apparently she has been laying for awhile so it may pop up again. I may have to cull them down the road... if her sire was carrying rec white....
barnie.gif
I really think she was a sport.

You rang :D .  Yes, I am still working on lavender wheatens (Isabelle) and officially have a breeding trio.  Most of my notes are here I'm not sure what happened to my pictures on the page, I'll try to fix them.  I posted these a while back on the AM thread.  Good luck and make sure you get quality stock and stay away from blue at all costs.  It is extremely hard to distinguish lav and blue.

I just love this color so much I'm really thinking about working on it when I get my spring chicks grown out. I really wish I had more pens. : /

I had two lavenders that were broody on and off all summer. I finally let them go and they hatched eggs while sharing the setting duties with my turkeys. The chicks are just a few weeks old and these darn birds are broody again!!

Back
Top Bottom